Author Topic: Storm Doris power cut  (Read 2377 times)

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
Storm Doris power cut
« on: February 23, 2017, 12:03:57 »
I woke up to hearing the polytunnel doors banging in the storm , wellies on bare feet waterproof over dressing gown went out at 4 to sort them out! Then we lost the power for five hours! Lucky for me I have an open fire which I lit and strangely wifi from the mobile so I was looking at a year of gardening photos, what a year. This time last year I'd just moved to Ireland had no heating, the river was in the fields and I had a stand of conifers to clear to make way for the polytunnel and then dug a garden.

Was lovely to look back at July photos and videos at lush green growth and fruit growing and dream of warmer sunnier days, you can get a lot done in a year and I can't wait to plant in beds that have had a year of manure and compost and weeding! Maybe make one or two new beds for extra sweet corn and peas.

What have you been planning whilst the storm keeps you indoors? X sunloving

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Storm Doris power cut
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 13:08:30 »
You made good use of the enforced 'down time' sunloving.  Bravo!  a lot of achievement in just one year.

Storm is still raging here.  There was a large black flappy something that flew down the garden.  So the shed needs new felt.  too bad.  My large cloche has become detached and wedged itself elsewhere in the garden.  All fleece is off.  As it happens we had new fence panels delivered last week.  Fingers crossed they won't be needed apart from the two that are beyond repair already.  Hope everybody's greenhouses and polytunnels are safe.  Doris is certainly worse than Barbara just before Christmas.

Keep warm and safe all  :wave:

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 13:36:52 »
Went to retrieve the many pots that ended up in the pond only to find the fish taking shelter!  I was given a Aerogarden at Christmas so perfect time to fire it up!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 14:13:31 »
Weather warning for storm Doris, Southerners only travel if you really need to, batten down and stay indoors. Northerners, you will need your big coat.

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 16:25:25 »
It's been that windy here that when I checked on my chickens this morning, I saw one lay the same egg twice!!
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 07:54:12 »
My (full) comfrey butt was knocked over. The path to my greenhouse (intact!) stinks to high heaven.

Our site is littered with random cloches and waterbutts, but otherwise seems to be ok.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 09:42:48 »
You have done really well with your plot, Sunloving.  Conifers aren't the easiest to get rid of.  We still have the stumps of some of ours that were taken down 16 years ago. They were treated and the majority of the stumps disintegrated eventually but we still have about three of them left.  They were massive trees though.

I had an appointment for an eye check up yesterday afternoon and when I got into the car to go there, the wind was at its worst and I was scared.  A tall conifer and several deciduous trees in our garden looked as if they would be blown down at any minute and flatten the car whilst I was in it waiting for my OH to come out of our house.  We got about 3 miles down the road and the wind was nowhere near as strong. 

This morning there is a gentle breeze and the sun is shining. 

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 10:50:11 »
I was out on my bike yesterday - not the most fun I have ever had and I was almost taken out by a bucket flying off a skip.
The ploytunnel is now somewhere in Kent and my early sowings of leeks and radish are a goner.  Not been to the plot as yet but I hope the site hut is still standing.  I suspect there may be some damage to some of the old knackered sheds..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 11:34:27 »
Ouch BarriedaleNick - when it is this windy, it is scary on the bike anyway with cars and especially lorries keeping so little distance when they are overtaking.  It is a struggle not being blown into their path in the first place with the gusts.  But when debris is flying on top of that, now that's really dangerous. 

Sorry about the tunnel and hope there is less damage at the allotment. 

Much calmer day outside with blue skies and pretty cottonwool clouds.  :wave:

I was out on my bike yesterday - not the most fun I have ever had and I was almost taken out by a bucket flying off a skip.
The ploytunnel is now somewhere in Kent and my early sowings of leeks and radish are a goner.  Not been to the plot as yet but I hope the site hut is still standing.  I suspect there may be some damage to some of the old knackered sheds..

AnnieD

• Half Acre
  • Royston, North Herts, very chalky
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2017, 15:00:22 »
Just been to the allotment to check the site. All that happened in mine was the lid came off the black compost bin. Phew! My new fruit trees were fine. Chap next door's greenhouse has glass blown out and shattered. A bit further down, a shed is flattened.
Located in Royston, North Herts.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal