Author Topic: Poor old chickens  (Read 4958 times)

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
Poor old chickens
« on: January 22, 2017, 12:16:55 »
We went down early to give the hens fresh drinking water and dispose of the ice in their drinkers.  We have two small flocks, each with a spacious covered run, but oh, they look longingly at the grass.  They still have to be kept under cover until the end of February, so well over a month still to go.  And this confinement has been going on since 6th December.

We give them fresh greens and treats, but it's not the same as having a jolly good scratch at the grass under the trees.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: Poor old chickens
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 15:30:36 »
yes mine are looking on at the garden drinkers were frozen solid this morning -5.7 in the greenhouse its been like that here on the sunshine coast all week and forecast is much of the same this week to come we have light Sussex they are a big bird  and some l/Sussex Rhode island crosses not so big however the cockerel  is having a whale of a time as they cant escape his advances
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Stork

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 17:53:50 »
I have three who live in the only patch of garden that never gets any winter sun. I'm a softy so I let them out during the day for a peck and a scratch and a sunbathe. Some of my bulbs are coming up so they may have to suffer a bit more confinement from now on. Still - I built them a swing today so hopefully they'll have fun on that.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 18:01:02 by Stork »
Have no fear of perfection. You will never reach it. (Salvador Dali)

Redalder

• Half Acre
  • East Cornwall, mostly clay and stones.
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 12:55:52 »
Why are you keeping them in?  We never did even in Scotland, used to clear a patch snow so they could see the grass. They stayed in by choice if they didn't fancy the weather.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 13:36:20 »
Why are you keeping them in?  We never did even in Scotland, used to clear a patch snow so they could see the grass. They stayed in by choice if they didn't fancy the weather.
avian flu all birds to kept inside until end of feb defra its not about the the cold just a health scare
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Redalder

• Half Acre
  • East Cornwall, mostly clay and stones.
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 09:43:15 »
Didn't realise it had got to that, don't keep chickens any more - poor chooks!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal