Author Topic: How to store plastic plant pots?  (Read 4154 times)

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
How to store plastic plant pots?
« on: February 10, 2017, 16:58:30 »
I have finally bit the bullet and decided to clear out my old garden shed. A daunting prospect as it has been used essentially as a dump for gardening stuff for 25 years. I am terrible at throwing things away but it needed repairing so I had to do it.
One problem I have always had is the proliferation of plant pots. I am sure they are breeding in there as each year they take over more space. I have been ruthless (sort of!) and discarded some but with the prospect of redesigning my shed space I wondered how people stored them. I need them somewhere where I can get at them but not cluttering the floor. At the moment they are kept in boxes on the floor.
Any ideas gratefully received!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: How to store plastic plant pots?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 17:42:25 »
I try to avoid round pots simply because there are so many manufacturers of these.

Although a pot is sold as say a 3" pot most of them have different rims,depths holes which often create problems when you come to store them due to the slight variations in size. Whereas square pots tend to be more regular in shape choose which supplier you buy them from as you can see in the attached photo ( there are around 600 pots in this tray!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 18:15:43 »
That looks neat TeeGee.

The other big advantage of square pots is that they are more space efficient in the propagator, on the greenhouse bench and on the windowsill.  There is so much extra space needed by the round pots that I have gone over to square ones as well. 

However the majority of my pots are still round and I just stack them by size and then on a shelf.  But I do knock over stacks now and then of both round and square pots, so perhaps in stacked boxes, like you do TeeGee and George, is a better way.  :wave:

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 19:24:04 »
Agree about the disparity in sizes, its frustrating having trained my neighbours to "recycle", i.e , donate their emptied- from- the- garden- centre pots. If only they would all shop at the same place. I also visit the nearest place , where one can 'cadge' pots complete with their trays, all of which are "one-trip", and go to the tip because the plastic materials are different blends of recycled material and will only be recycled once.
For storage, they are (sometimes!)washed and sorted into sizes and then hung in tough plastic sacks (Dustbin liners 37"x18") on cup hooks at the dark north  end of the shed (Outside), away from sight and sunshine. Six sacks hold the range of sizes upto 10", then any big ones stack upside down and give perfect shelter to the snails.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 21:04:41 »
i also use square pots a lot however i also use b&m 3" round pots in trays 40 are £3.99 and 20 are £1.99 i find these stack very easy and can get 10 in a bread tray for easy storage but like you i dont know where all the other size pots come from every year i have a clear out most of the odd sizes i find i use for watering placing them in the ground next to big crops ie tomatoes and squashes and sweetcorn seems to work for methey only last a season or two then off to the tip
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal