Author Topic: real gardening  (Read 3191 times)

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
real gardening
« on: January 31, 2017, 20:25:27 »
today i started a week behind tg however its been very frosty  and only having a cold greenhouse i had to wait anyway today i started with some amsterdam forcing carrots  spring is here
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
Re: real gardening
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 07:55:34 »
Is that barrel full of compost Johnny, or is the bottom filled with something else? And will you be leaving it in the greenhouse?

I ask as I've never had any luck with carrots.
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 08:07:13 »
Does it have to be forcing carrots?

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 12:11:23 »
Is that barrel full of compost Johnny, or is the bottom filled with something else? And will you be leaving it in the greenhouse?

I ask as I've never had any luck with carrots.
its like a half barrel around 100 liters of compost  mixed through with ffb ill leave them in the green house until  late march then take it out once it warms up then when i harvest them as finger carrots i turn it out into another half barrel so the bottom compost becomes the top and  then sow some main crop carrots in it which can be left outside all summer long dont have to cover the crop because its too high for the carrot fly to reach  and markfield rover no any early carrot nantes type variety will do its just that i got them free  hope this helps

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 12:38:40 »
I picked up some black-skinned carrots in the market yesterday, which I plan to plant up later and grow for seed. I tried last year and they rotted, but last winter was extremely wet, and I'm starting them a lot later this year as well. Hopefully it'll work this time!

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 15:25:30 »
Thanks johhnyco15, will give it a go.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 22:28:54 »
I'll be starting some in a tub in the big greenhouse (unheated) this weekend too...

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 13:22:45 »
i put some Charlotte  potatoes in 8 ltr bags today in the greenhouse  should give me an early crop in around 10/12 weeks however forgot to take a pic so here's one of my banana  shallots  instead that i sowed tues

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 16:48:53 »
i put some Charlotte  potatoes in 8 ltr bags today in the greenhouse  should give me an early crop in around 10/12 weeks however forgot to take a pic so here's one of my banana  shallots  instead that i sowed tues

Good afternoon,

A few years ago, I would have regarded growing shallots from seed as something unusual. Now it is my standard method.

But I am interested in other people's experiences. Because in my experience grown from seed they seem to keep far better than shallots grown from sets. Now I try to take a scientific approach to things, so I am unsure if this is just chance and or if others see the same thing. Shallots keep well generally but over the past few seasons I have definitely lost a bigger proportion of the set grown.

Has anyone else noticed a difference?

Not mad, just out to mulch!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal