Author Topic: new plot  (Read 16605 times)

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
new plot
« on: November 07, 2016, 13:36:11 »
this sunday was walk around sunday and the management committee asked me if i would take the front haif of my half plot as the fellow has given up  ( he never really started only been there once in a year ) so i started today should have it around by xmas
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: new plot
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 15:27:45 »
and the view from the other end

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 16:59:43 »
I spy rhubarb.  What are the other fruit bushes a bit further back?  :wave:

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 17:13:35 »
I spy rhubarb.  What are the other fruit bushes a bit further back?  :wave:
there is a lot of rhubarb the other fruit is a thornless blackberry a big sage a grape vine two cherry trees and a rosemary will prob  pot up the sage and rosemary move the blackberry to my fruit plot dig out all the rhubarb of which there is around 12 plants try to get rid of the couch then replant scalp the large bed and then dig out all the roots of couch bindweed etc  ill finish the edges by the weekend and have all the herbs potted up then its just an hour a day of digging the back half of the plot was the same when i took it on in may so i know what im up against lol

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 17:19:20 »
Your a glutton for punishment Johnny but I am sure you will get on top of it.

There was a day I would tackle such task but thankfully thats long past now, so best of luck to you  I look forward to what you do with it in the years to come.

As the say make hay while the sun shines, I am afraid my hay has turned into silage now ! :clock:

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 17:29:43 »
Your a glutton for punishment Johnny but I am sure you will get on top of it.

There was a day I would tackle such task but thankfully thats long past now, so best of luck to you  I look forward to what you do with it in the years to come.

As the say make hay while the sun shines, I am afraid my hay has turned into silage now ! :clock:
im sure there plenty of spark left in you tg ive nearly completed one edge will finish that tomorrow and have cut back the grape vine and restrung the supports  so cant wait to get there in the morning to start ill post pics along the way fingers crossed for a longer dry spell so i can get a march on thanks for the morale support my friend 

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 17:49:16 »
That latest picture is so pretty - shame it has to go :tongue3:.

Tricia  :wave:

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 15:26:29 »
a little slow going today started the dig today however pics dont show much improvement

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 16:02:59 »
Roughly what is the size of this new plot Johnny?

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2016, 17:09:11 »
Roughly what is the size of this new plot Johnny?
18 ft wide around 80ft long and full of weeds

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2016, 17:17:18 »
full of weeds

As they say up here

You don't get out for nout!

Plus; To get effort out you have to put effort in!

But I guess it will be worth it in the end, and you do have around 5-6 month to get it ready.

So take it steady.....Rome wasn't built in a day!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2016, 18:47:03 »
full of weeds

As they say up here

You don't get out for nout!

Plus; To get effort out you have to put effort in!

But I guess it will be worth it in the end, and you do have around 5-6 month to get it ready.

So take it steady.....Rome wasn't built in a day!
indeed tg i spend 2hrs on the new plot and the rest of the day on the rest today i put grease bands on my fruit trees  rain is forecast for tomorrow so wont get much done plan to grubb all my tomato plants on thurs however two hours a day should have it done by xmas but as you say ive a few months after that  it was one of the reasons i took it on as i knew i had plenty of time to get it organized before spring and its next to the water pump so another plus slow and steady is the order of the day id rather dig it well once and take out 99% of the roots than quick and have to re dig in spring

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2016, 13:08:29 »
here we are 4 days into the new plot lost one day to rain and looks like tomorrow will be another washout and what with the poppy parade on sunday dont think ill be back to the plot until monday weather permitting hoped to have had more to show you but its been slow going anyway here is this weeks pic

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2016, 15:26:51 »
That's good progress.  When you get frost that should help to crumble the soil more finely.  And it isn't a race.  When it is so cold and windy, slow and steady is much better.  Maybe I'm showing my age here, but I find I put my back out far more easily in the cold.  :wave:

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2016, 16:38:48 »
That's good progress.  When you get frost that should help to crumble the soil more finely.  And it isn't a race.  When it is so cold and windy, slow and steady is much better.  Maybe I'm showing my age here, but I find I put my back out far more easily in the cold.  :wave:
indeed galina i only use a border spade that's why it takes so long i try to warm up with a less stressful task before it start to dig like hoeing just to get my muscles supple  and my soil is so sandy the first rain on it it will crust up then the wolf soil miller comes into play I'm sure your age has nothing to do with your back you just a lot wiser and know your limits something the younger amongst us have yet to learn

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2016, 17:38:42 »
i only use a border spade that's why it takes so long

EEE lad get yer sen a decent spade  :thumbsup:

i try to warm up with a less stressful task  to get my muscles supple

I can just see you doing your Charles Atlas bit. :blob10:

my soil is so sandy the wolf soil miller comes into play.

Why don't you get the kids off the beach to help you out with their buckets and spades?:3some:

I'm sure your age has nothing to do with your back you just a lot wiser and know your limits something the younger amongst us have yet to learn.

Now I wonder if I come into the category?  :dontknow:

Glad to see you are having fun just like I am now, now that I have finished for the season  :icon_cheers: :toothy10:

BTW you may have noticed  I am enjoying your progress reports  :thumbsup: ...Tg

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2016, 18:04:07 »
i only use a border spade that's why it takes so long

EEE lad get yer sen a decent spade  :thumbsup:

i try to warm up with a less stressful task  to get my muscles supple

I can just see you doing your Charles Atlas bit. :blob10:

my soil is so sandy the wolf soil miller comes into play.

Why don't you get the kids off the beach to help you out with their buckets and spades?:3some:

I'm sure your age has nothing to do with your back you just a lot wiser and know your limits something the younger amongst us have yet to learn.

Now I wonder if I come into the category?  :dontknow:

Glad to see you are having fun just like I am now, now that I have finished for the season  :icon_cheers: :toothy10:

BTW you may have noticed  I am enjoying your progress reports  :thumbsup: ...Tg

why thanks tg was thinking of starting a ti chi class on the headland every morning like they do in china to get warmed up but the old folks said the didn't like foreign  food  and as for the spade as we say down in the smoke my roof rack aint wot it used to be so ive got the same spade as my skin and blister  :drunken_smilie: :sunny: :sunny:  :drunken_smilie:

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2016, 11:40:48 »
rain stopped play today still managed to get two hours of digging this morning  think I'm a little in front now of where i expected to be however will soon be hitting around 15ft of solid couch grass which will slow me down a bit then its just the large rhubarb bed left  again ill scalp it then put 4 inches of bark over the top  i was going to dig out all the crowns try to dig out the couch roots then replant may do this next year  as the bark should weaken the couch                                                                                                                                                          the soil is very light so after i finish digging ill improve it with 2" of leafmould then 2" of well rotted manure then get the mantis on it in spring think ill put my runners and squashes in there this year as its next to the pump however this may change       tg i could never fit you into a category   it was be too vast  :glasses9: :glasses9:

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2016, 13:06:37 »
tg i could never fit you into a category   it was be too vast

I was referring to my 'age' i.e. me being the aged and you being the youngster.  :angel11:

My next question is;

Based on what you have told us about the amounts you have grown this season, what are you going to do with all that extra produce from your new plot and a half?  :icon_scratch:

I know we have come out of Europe so are you going to get on your bike and take your surplus to Europe to feed all those immigrants that are boating/swimming across the Med?  :wav:

Why is it that an image of an "Onion Johnny" keeps entering my head ?  :sunny:

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2016, 13:45:56 »
tg i could never fit you into a category   it was be too vast

I was referring to my 'age' i.e. me being the aged and you being the youngster.  :angel11:

My next question is;

Based on what you have told us about the amounts you have grown this season, what are you going to do with all that extra produce from your new plot and a half?  :icon_scratch:

I know we have come out of Europe so are you going to get on your bike and take your surplus to Europe to feed all those immigrants that are boating/swimming across the Med?  :wav:

Why is it that an image of an "Onion Johnny" keeps entering my head ?  :sunny:
your making me cry now                            with all the white rot on our site i deffo wont be johnny onion now as for your age tg you may be advanced but your wit is as sharp as ever and as for produce I'm not sure thinking of spacing it all out a bit more I'm a bit of ill just fit another row in there kind of guy so I'm going to TRY to give them all a little more room most of my excess produce i donate to a special needs school my wife works at and in return i get all the autumn leaves normally around 50 sacks full  so that's about it oh btw I'm trying Mr fothergills Guinness record runner beans this year will let you know how they go i reselected my benchmaster this year so ill put them up against each other  :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal