Author Topic: The risks of gardening  (Read 13858 times)

plotstoeat

• Acre
The risks of gardening
« on: October 09, 2016, 19:19:06 »
I was sowing my sweet peas in the greenhouse this morning and listening to my local radio gardening hour. There was a long item on the health risks of gardening. I wasn't sure what to make of it. Over the top probably. Anyone wanting to scare themselves this is the link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p048gh3l#play It's in the last half hour of the programme.

ACE

• Hectare
Re: The risks of gardening
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 13:18:11 »
I had to do a risk assessment when I was working for the local council. After about 50 pages I lost the will to live. Like any activity it all boils down to 'know your limits and be careful'.

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 14:10:08 »
 :BangHead: but then there are loads of advantages to doing gardening too !!
i don't belive death is the end

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 15:59:58 »
Oh dear should I be worried I started as a garden boy in 1948 retired when I got to 80 so not sure what  I should do now.http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/Smileys/Lots_O_Smileys/BangHead.gif

playground

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 23:18:14 »
What's the essence of the argument ?

(1) That you can injure yourself .. using a spade or fork ?
(2) Lifting and lugging things around a garden causes back problems ?
(3) The weed killers, fertilisers and other chemicals are toxic ?
(4) other ?

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 23:26:19 »
One of the recent news items has stuck with me about gardening.  A lady had a superficial graze on the back of her hand from gardening and unfortunately she died of septicemia, or sepsis as it seems to be called now, aka blood poisoning a week later.  If anyone feels unwell and develops temperature and other symptoms after a small garden injury, they must insist that sepsis is being considered and their doctors must be on the lookout for this, because apparently sepsis is much more common than generally assumed and can be very dangerous indeed. 

playground

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 03:06:46 »
One of the recent news items has stuck with me about gardening.  A lady had a superficial graze on the back of her hand from gardening and unfortunately she died of septicemia, or sepsis as it seems to be called now, aka blood poisoning a week later.  If anyone feels unwell and develops temperature and other symptoms after a small garden injury, they must insist that sepsis is being considered and their doctors must be on the lookout for this, because apparently sepsis is much more common than generally assumed and can be very dangerous indeed.

Hi Galina :)

I remember similar warnings about random scratches and scrapes.
But this was when i was boy...  more decades ago than i would prefer.
Back then the story was told in terms of tetanus.
And the cure was a painful needle... about the width of a knitting needle
... into your backside...   pottytrain2 

So naturally, the temptation was to simply put a plaster on that scratch,
and not mention it  to anyone.

Three questions:
(1) Is there an injection, a vaccination, that you can get for septicemia (as for tetanus) ?
(2) How long does the septicemia jab last for ?
(3) Is it free ?

If i remember correctly, the tetanus jab lasts 10 years (and used to be free)

Maybe someone will read this thread that knows the answers to those questions.

playground

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2016, 03:30:49 »
I think for many people... the risk of gardening might be
the risk of knee, hip, ankle or back injury if they start exerting
themselves too strenuously digging in the ground.

I think one route around these concerns is to bring the
ground up 4 feet or so.

Imagine rows of raised beds, not 4 inches high, but 4 feet high.

or imagine rows of these planters, raised on pedestals, 4 foot high.

https://www.wayfair.co.uk/Rowlinson-Marberry-Rectangular-Planter-PLLY100-ROWL1039.html

Imagine all the ladies and gents who would be able to look after
such an 'elevated beds' allotment plot... but who wouldn't be able to take on a
regular 'ground level' plot, due to health concerns.

I think this is a super idea and someone should start a charity to implement it.
I'd like a place on that management committee.  :-)   

pumkinlover

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2016, 08:30:34 »
Septicaemia is not caused by a specific micro organism, rather it is a response to an infection. Normally our bodies are able to deal with these infections without any problem.
Occasionally and tragically for some reason the body does not and the immune response results in toxic shock and some times death.
For this reason I doubt vaccination will be possible.
But no doubt some one will now find that it is!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2016, 13:43:24 »
The benefits of gardening far outweigh the risks to both person and environment.

The risks of gardening are like anything else in life - preventable and calculable.   Use your common sense and take sensible precautions as needed - gloves, goggles, storing tools and chemicals safely, correct techniques and tools for lifting/digging/pruning, circuit breakers and so on.  Keep tetanus jabs up to date even if you have to pay for it  - how much is your life worth? - and clean any wounds immediately and keep an eye on them.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 13:45:26 by Obelixx »
Obxx - Vendée France

plotstoeat

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2016, 15:24:29 »
What's the essence of the argument ?

(1) That you can injure yourself .. using a spade or fork ?
(2) Lifting and lugging things around a garden causes back problems ?
(3) The weed killers, fertilisers and other chemicals are toxic ?
(4) other ?

All those and lots more involving dry compost, rats etc. I am sure we have all injured ourselves in the garden at some time

plotstoeat

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2016, 15:41:29 »

sepsis was one of the dangers covered in the programme and, as you say, not uncommon.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2016, 19:20:56 »

Hi Galina :)

I remember similar warnings about random scratches and scrapes.
But this was when i was boy...  more decades ago than i would prefer.
Back then the story was told in terms of tetanus.
And the cure was a painful needle... about the width of a knitting needle
... into your backside...   pottytrain2 

So naturally, the temptation was to simply put a plaster on that scratch,
and not mention it  to anyone.

Three questions:
(1) Is there an injection, a vaccination, that you can get for septicemia (as for tetanus) ?
(2) How long does the septicemia jab last for ?
(3) Is it free ?

If i remember correctly, the tetanus jab lasts 10 years (and used to be free)

Maybe someone will read this thread that knows the answers to those questions.

I have put this link up as I think it may be re-assuring:
http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/tetanus/pages/introduction.aspx#vaccination
This service can be used for all kinds of concern.Hopefully, re-assurance is the key to being convinced that ones  hypocondria is not without cause!
On a serious note, how many of you have the foresight to have basic first-aid kit with you when away upon your plot. Do you know the postcode if you needed to call an ambulance (for somebody else!) Do you ever let anybody know, if you are living unaccompanied, where you are going and how long to wait. Do you take a phone?
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2016, 20:07:04 »
Just listened to the item- can't believe I'm still alive!  :happy7:

plotstoeat

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2016, 20:36:35 »
On a serious note, how many of you have the foresight to have basic first-aid kit with you when away upon your plot. Do you know the postcode if you needed to call an ambulance (for somebody else!) Do you ever let anybody know, if you are living unaccompanied, where you are going and how long to wait. Do you take a phone?

Very good points Ancellsfarmer. More safety awareness must be a good thing without being over the top.

picman

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2016, 21:08:31 »
Making a specific link between gardening and sepsis is out of proportion to number of cases involved, a cut in the kitchen , could be a cause , so risk is probably higher , just some headline grabbing spin in my opinion, sorry to hear the lady died  ... ELO Mr blue sky,  Great tune..

pumkinlover

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2016, 08:11:32 »
The post code for our site is on the notice board in large font print.

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2016, 15:00:24 »
As they say  you die if you worry but then you die if you don.t, so just enjoy life that you have.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2016, 16:06:11 »
When I got struck down with cellulitis I was given a list of activities to avoid, top of the list was gardening. Yeh right. As I have done 'dirty' jobs most of my life I was surprised I had not been poisoned before. Even as a nipper when I was mudlarking in Pompey harbour for pennies thrown by matelots, I had never suffered as bad as the other year, so I have thrown the list away. Why tiptoe through life just to arrive safely at deaths door.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2016, 18:40:20 »
i worked down rat infested manholes for 30 years  in the westend and city of london never had any problems got a lot of arthritis however no infections got cut on a regular basis blue towel and black tape as  plaster i know gardening is dangerous and there are lots of unseen problems and as in all outdoor pursuits some people  will have problems most minor a small percentage will be major we just have to try to enjoy our hobby and be aware  of the dangers but not so much that we get a little paranoid
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal