Author Topic: Lupin seedlings  (Read 3256 times)

Marlborough

• Half Acre
    • Marlborough
Lupin seedlings
« on: October 07, 2016, 16:57:23 »
Hi all, some advice needed I've grown some lupins from seed, they are about six inches high. When should I plant them out or should I overwinter them in unheated greenhouse, all advice appreciated🌻 :wave:
Paul

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: Lupin seedlings
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 18:06:03 »
id pot them on not to big a pot a size up is fine and leave them outside but in a sheltered place  ie close to the house  keep the compost damp not wet and they will be fine to plant out in spring the trouble with a greenhouse is they might put a lot of growth on then you plant them out and all that sappy young growth  will suffer  hope this helps
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 19:20:48 »
Generally I would agree with Johnny but as you are in a wetter spot than him  ( Liverpool) I would do as he says in regards to potting up to say a 5"  pot and leave them outdoors to winter really sets in, that is regular frosts.

Then I would put them in your unheated greenhouse, I use a cold frame for such treatment as these as the name suggests do not get as warm as greenhouses.

What you do not want is the roots to get saturated then frozen.

I planted my seedlings out a couple of months ago so they should be well bedded in now and up to anything winter throws at us.

You do not say what sort of position you would have planted them had you planted them out but if it is a really well protected area and most definitely not a frost pocket you could risk your luck and plant out two or three. In this way you might get some flowers next year otherwise planting them out in spring will delay flowering if indeed you would get any.

The choice is yours!

Marlborough

• Half Acre
    • Marlborough
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 21:44:23 »
Thanks for the suggestions folks, Tee Gee they are to be planted in a dedicated perennial bed. I planted 50 seeds and 47 of them germinated, so I think I might risk planting out a few and over wintering the rest in the greenhouse.👍
Paul

brownthumb2

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 20:00:27 »
 i noticed to day one of my Lupin plants have what look like small plantlets growing from a flower spike  ... Will I be able to  grow those on as cuttings ?

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2016, 06:43:39 »
There's only one way to find out. :icon_cheers:

It's probably getting a bit late for green cuttings I would say. perhaps see what they look like early spring and try then.

brownthumb2

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2016, 09:38:17 »
ok ..Thanks  will leave cutting back till then .

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal