Author Topic: cats  (Read 12342 times)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Re: cats
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2005, 21:34:25 »
I've started a new thread 'Gardeners and their cats' on the pets board.

G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2005, 22:30:36 »
Cat scat is good.  It's like a spiky plastic matting which you can cut to size and shape.  I've got a bit on my pear tree where my nesting box is as next door's cat sits on a sawn off branch just waiting for the birds so he can eat them!  On reflection putting the bird box near the sawn off flat bit of branch was a bad idea but I didn't think about it until I saw the flipping cat sitting there waiting to pounce.  In my borders I use thorny clippings from pyracantha or berberis etc which I place over any seeds I've sown.  Next door's cat loves to crap in my new compost which I'd turned out from my bin and planted spuds in  >:(
I came, I saw, I composted

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2005, 16:45:23 »
Tell me about it wardy, I was just in my  tiny veg patch in the garden, scrunching up small clods of earth with my fingers.........and yup you guessed it :o   BLOODY cats! (excuse me leaving, but I think I need to be sick, and then disinfect my left hand! :-\ )
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2005, 17:30:23 »
On my flower borders at home l use moth balls to keep cats away. I put one about every 2 foot, last year it did keep the BL###Y things away
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2005, 22:20:19 »
I have an electronic cat scarer that does the biz 8) but not when you forget to check the batteries... Bl**dy cats >:(

in my wellies

• Not So New ...
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2005, 23:09:59 »
How do cat owners train their cats to 'go' in someone elses garden? :-[All my four only use my garden, all having their own patch. One, a rescue, will only use the litter tray inside. She waits outside all day and then comes in to perform >:(I rake out under the hedge on my lottie so they go there and not on the beds. I cover seeds with chicken wire.

Steven

• Quarter Acre
  • Heaven or hell..?
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2005, 13:20:05 »
In the 6 years of owning my dog (see avitar),i havent found a single bit of cat poo in my garden-he absolutely hates cats and they know he will attack them if they dare enter his garden.

I wouldnt recomend buying a dog for this purpose alone though.
Talk to the elbow-its got a point

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2005, 17:54:41 »
hi in my wellies
cat owners do not train their cats to go in other peoples gardens.  Mine goes in ours mostly but I expect he also sneaks into neighbours gardens too at times.  It's more where the conditions are right.  It's much easier to dig a hole in newly dug soil. 

MM

PS - and I agree Steven, it's not a good idea to get a dog just to chase cats out of your garden.  We have a dog who gets on fine with our cat but he ain't so keen to see other cats on his patch.

in my wellies

• Not So New ...
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2005, 21:57:23 »
Hi Merlins Mum, my four cats have me well trained  ;D ;D I regularly prepare nice patches of soft soil for them! Oh, and because the garden and lottie at the end is big I don't think they can be bothered to climb over into nextdoor. :-[

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2005, 23:08:43 »
haha, that sound more like it.  I think I have a paw print on the top of my head too.  I guess you either love 'em or hate 'em and I love 'em

MM

pompeyblue

« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2005, 21:05:54 »
Hi All,

Just joined and have enjoyed all the info. I've just put 6" screws ontop of my fence posts. The used some ungalvanised wire between them. Then connected a square torch battery - 6v................Should keep them off. If not at least their bleeding eyes will light up at night so I can see the buggers!

chrispea27

• Acre
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2005, 07:11:25 »
great pictures love cats!!
Chris Pea

Granny_Smith

• Half Acre
  • Of course its me - who else could look like this ?
« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2005, 07:57:22 »
hey - it's not just cats that cause problems, at least they attempt to bury their mess most of the time. I've lost count of the number of times I've gone out my back gate, walked across the road and trodden in some dog mess left on the road/path by a responsible owner(s) too lazy to pick it up. None of my neighbours own a dog so whoever walks the dog(s) must know what it has done.
Soft dug garden or quiet lane? there's not any difference.
Granny is still your best friend !

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2005, 08:10:51 »
Just a thought ;D Why is it OK for horses to do do do's in the street and why aren't their owners made responsible to clear it up after them ??? as it makes a hell of a mess on the tyres of my Rolls ;D ;D ;D

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2005, 08:59:30 »
Roy, when we lived in foriegn parts, (ahhh those were the days!) they had horse drawn carriages for the tourists, the horses had to wear nappies by law!  ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2005, 10:19:26 »
Cats dont like chicken manure pellets .It is cheaper than the gel stuff and will do the garden good if you scatter em..It works for me on my seed beds..
                                                                                                 Cheers Jim..
Cheers .. Jim

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2005, 21:42:06 »
Roy, when we lived in foriegn parts, (ahhh those were the days!) they had horse drawn carriages for the tourists, the horses had to wear nappies by law!  ;D

;D Tee hee  ;D Spose it was a bit like a splash guard :o ;D ;D ;D

pumpkin

• Not So New ...
« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2005, 21:47:23 »
a plant called scardeycat oka coleus thompson and morgan sell them something to do with the smell.

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2005, 21:58:56 »
i do hope that was a joke pompeyblue! :o

yesmm,toby would chase a strange cat-but our shop cat will chase(and catch)any strange doggie-shes a regular terror on our street!
our home cats were all trained to use the tray when we lived in the city-they'd play outs ide and rush in to use their loo.......
kitty
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

SEDUM

• Not So New ...
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2005, 22:24:04 »
I like cats - haven't one of my own - but I admire their independence, except when they poo in my raised beds.  The holly might work if my garden wasn't so windy - I have to fish it out of everywhere else but where the holly trimmings were intended. 

Once seeds are sown or plants planted a really effective deterrent is the web - position short canes around your bed and cross twine back and forth to make an area that the cats can't walk under, climb over or stop and poo in.  It hasn't failed yet.

Art

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal