Author Topic: Onions & Garlic  (Read 2816 times)

bluecar

• Acre
Onions & Garlic
« on: September 21, 2016, 15:31:44 »
Hello all.

I'm hoping to plant my autumn onions and garlic this weekend. I'm getting conflicting advice - should I add dried blood, Fish blood and bone or chicken pellets as the initial fertiliser? Perhaps you use something different.

Regards

Bluecar

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: Onions & Garlic
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 15:43:26 »
depends on how fertile the ground is i never put any feed into the ground untill they are up around 7" then i use Q4 hope this helps however if the ground is poor id give it a once over of any balanced fertilizer i would not use chicken pellets as they are high in nitrogen at first  again hope this helps
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 17:35:05 »
I'm similar to Johnny

I do not fertilise at planting time as they might put on too much lush growth which might not be a good thing if we get a severe winter.

In spring as things are beginning to warm up and there is signs of growth I give them a nitrogen feed and they usually romp away, but do not overdo the nitrogen as too much of this can effect swelling. That is the allium family do not like high levels of nitrogen at the bulb formation state, they would be better served with a potash feed at this time to promote ripening.

bluecar

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 18:44:18 »
Thanks.

I'm not sure how fertile the ground is, but I dug in manure early in the spring and grew dwarf french beans this summer. I'm guessing that I probably can just plant without fertiliser and add a top dressing in Spring.

Regards

Bluecar

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 22:11:15 »
You don't want lush sappy growth in autumn caused by a lot of fertiliser, because that will freeze off.  Not a huge problem (garlic will regrow), but all that is required is root growth before winter sets in.  I don't fertilise until spring.  :wave:

bluecar

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 08:15:24 »
Thanks Galina.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 10:59:03 »
Thanks Galina.

Just re-read your post.  Why plant so early?  I don't know where you live, but in most parts of the UK late October is better than now to prevent a lot of top growth before the cold weather.  If you are expecting frost in the near future where you live, then now is a good time to plant of course.  :wave:

bluecar

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 14:55:49 »
I'm in the W Midlands so probably frost free until November.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal