Author Topic: spud trench - how deep?  (Read 7561 times)

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
Re: spud trench - how deep?
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2005, 17:30:32 »
Hi all,

I planted mine (Charlottes which did better than King Edwards last year) the same as Baggy. I did this mostly because I don`t know any better :(.
I have been worried that they may be too deep.
Thanks Baggy I`m a bit less worried now.  :D

I have some others chitting I can`t remember what though,
I`ll be doing them different and making a comparision.

Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

simon404

• Hectare
    • Simon's Allotment
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2005, 20:35:25 »
Phil -  ;D Took me about ten minutes to geddit but I got there in the end.  ;)

JohnnyLarge

• Not So New ...
  • Rotovator Motivator!
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2005, 21:14:24 »
I planted some left over Charlottes (about 20) from Tesco's last year in some nice deep soil.
I dug a trench a spade wide and deep. I chucked the spuds in about 2 feet apart and covered them up. If the soil is soft enough, they don't want hilling up as they are deep enough.
The Charlottes were extremely prolific and were actually better than the original 'taters I bought in the first place.
I STILL have about 100 for seed to plant soon. This is after us gorging on them all Summer and storing them in my garage in a box all winter.
If at first you don't succeed, Think... Sod It, and find something else to do!

bear

• Not So New ...
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2005, 23:17:48 »
Hmmm! I'm new to all this. I've got a bag of five different varieties from the organic gardening catalogue, so I thinks I'll just put them in six inches deep and see what comes up. Learn by experience!

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2005, 00:29:55 »
I planted some left over Charlottes (about 20) from Tesco's last year in some nice deep soil.
I dug a trench a spade wide and deep. I chucked the spuds in about 2 feet apart and covered them up. If the soil is soft enough, they don't want hilling up as they are deep enough.
The Charlottes were extremely prolific and were actually better than the original 'taters I bought in the first place.
I STILL have about 100 for seed to plant soon. This is after us gorging on them all Summer and storing them in my garage in a box all winter.

Hmmm - I am new to this as well but I would not put supermarket spuds in the ground on my lottie - I have had enough warnings here and elsewhere.  Certified spuds are free of blight and other disease which can infect your ground for ten years.  Therefore I only use certified seed potato.  I do not think my fellow plot holders would approve of anything else - rightly - :-o)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2005, 11:48:48 by redclanger »
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2005, 09:39:21 »
I think I'm going to go with Tim's method. We've literally just finished digging and sieving the soil (it was gross), so it's all nice and fine anyway.

Planted 10 spuds in various containers yesterday. Most fun. Can't wait to get some in the soil (but I have to leave it due to the coffee!)
gone to pot :D

Suffolklad

• Quarter Acre
    • thewoolnoughs
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2005, 09:40:57 »

Can I put fresh chook muck mixed with wood shavings in the bottoms of the trenches ?
It's something I have plenty of  ;D
Mike
They call it the "Good Life" but it's a b****y HARD life!

RobandAlly

• Not So New ...
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2005, 15:31:23 »
Now I may be asking the most stupid question here   :-[

I have read up and now know about earlys second early and maincrop what i need to know is do i plant potatoes in stages like early say 1st week april then a few weeks more do second and maybe a month longer do maincrop or do I plant earlys seconds and main now

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2005, 15:37:32 »
The potato tells you when it is ready.

Our earlies have been in for some time, but the seconds are only showing 1/4" sprouts, instead of 1/2 - 1".

Clayhithe

• Acre
  • Easy does it
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2005, 19:33:02 »
Tim,

That's brilliant!

I'll do that,  then cover them with cardboard.

Thanks.
Good gardening!

John

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2005, 20:31:19 »
Chooks; When I kept hens I only used the droppings after storing for a year. It's hot stuff and needs time to cool off. I only ever used it for my onion beds.

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2005, 00:07:56 »
That reminds me, second earlies due to go in now

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2005, 00:36:56 »
Oh and seed pots don't carry blight, it's a fungus carried in the air

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2005, 11:33:24 »
Oh and seed pots don't carry blight, it's a fungus carried in the air

Rant warning

Merry Tiller,

You couldn't be more wrong, blight does overwinter in vegetative matter and reappears in the Spring. Aphids (particularly the peach aphid) feed on the infected haulms and spread the disease. Most outbreaks in the Uk are traced back to infected overwintered tubers.

See http://pestdata.ncsu.edu/CropProfiles/docs/OHpotato.html - they take their potatoes very seriously in Ohio - a large part of the state's income comes from potato production

Please don't save seed if there is any alternative, that's your own and that bought from a supermarket which is probably not grown in blight free areas

End of Rant

Phil

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2005, 19:16:20 »
Hi all,

Today I planted three rows of Maris Piper, not as deep as before and earthed them up a little. So for comparision, I have Charlottes planted in the valleys and Maris Piper planted under the mountains. But not in the same rows. If that makes any sense at all.

I guess they`ll be ok either way.

Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

thomasb

• Half Acre
  • Allotment in Cowley, Oxford
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2005, 19:40:51 »
I like to plant my potatoes in a shallow trench, but then earth them up significantly at this stage. (see the pics below for an idea of what I mean).  The potatoes certainly find their way up. In a way this mimickes how my father planted potatoes using pipes attached to a plough behind a tractor. The front part of the plough opened a trench into which potatoes were dropped down into using the pipes. Then the back of the plough covered the potatoes and earthered them up at the same time.

Thomas

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2005, 19:49:36 »
Don't know why, but I've always believed it best to earth up every 4" of growth.

And never cover the foliage. Anything to do with photosynthesis?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2005, 19:58:06 by tim »

Suffolklad

• Quarter Acre
    • thewoolnoughs
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2005, 20:42:23 »
thomasb, I do mine the same way. It's how my parents and grandparents did it, with good results - so it's good enough for me :-)
Mike
They call it the "Good Life" but it's a b****y HARD life!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2005, 23:51:46 »
I earth up as I see leaves, always leaving the tops showing.  It seems everyone has their own way of doing things, and by the sounds of it, everyone is rather pleased with their harvests.  Tomorrow I have 2 rows of King Edwards to get in.  That leaves me with 2 rows of sante to try and find room for....bit of a worry really as I don't know where they will squeeze in!

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2005, 00:09:21 »
Seems to be a case of 'do what you do' or 'try what you see' and then carry on 'doing what you do' when that 'do' works for you. :)
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal