Author Topic: Under planting roses  (Read 2477 times)

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Under planting roses
« on: April 03, 2005, 03:16:46 »
Greetings all, advice request please.

I've just moved all my roses into individual large, deep container.   As I only have limited room in my back yard I am considering under planting each rose with a summer salad crop i.e. spring onion in one, radishes in another, baby beetroot in the third.   

Has anybody attempted this before and if so, what were your results.

Cheers

CC
"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
Re: Under planting roses
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2005, 13:23:32 »
I have lots of things growing around and under my roses, but they are not in containers...

However, they seem quite happy to be surrounded by chives, daffodils, and all sorts of shrubby things.  There is still enough space around them to manure, and remember you need to be able to rummage about and cut off those naughty little suckers!  ;)
Interests: Vegetables, Annuals & Songwriting.  Click here to listen to Charlie's songs.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2005, 18:24:39 »
I would say, so long as it isn't going to bother the roses roots, and so long as the rose isn't going to create huge amounts of shade, why not!  ;D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2005, 18:36:58 »
Garlic and onions would be beneficial to your roses as they deter aphids apparently.  I have garlic growing under all mine and it seems to work.  I also make a garlic spay as well.  I think herbs would do well under your roses too, such as thyme and lavender.

I should think baby leaf stuff would be good as well  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2005, 12:56:10 »
Unfortunately GW last week said that planting garlic etc under roses has no effect on the aphids at all. (scientific research and all that!)
gone to pot :D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2005, 13:57:30 »
aaahhh, but if it works for you Monty also said.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2005, 21:53:15 »
It was Monty who suggested it to me so I trusted him and did it.   I've didn't have any problems with aphids last year at all so I put it down to the garlic underplanting and the spray.  Could be though that ladybirds or hoverflies eat em all  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal