Author Topic: Purple Sprouting & the like pollination ?  (Read 2093 times)

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
Purple Sprouting & the like pollination ?
« on: October 05, 2016, 08:47:33 »
Hi everyone this may well be the most stupid question ever but please bare with me as I have never grown Winter brassicas before.
I have made frames for the brassicas that have very fine micromesh all around them so hopefully no nasties can get in. With things like purple sprouting broccoli & calabrese as the bits you eat are presumably the flowering parts will they need pollinating? As the micromesh is so fine no pollinators will be able to get in to the frames.
I found out why no body on my site grows Winter veg apparently pigeons & rooks destroy anything that is uncovered so even my leeks are under netting.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Purple Sprouting & the like pollination ?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 09:17:00 »
You eat the flowers before they open so no need for pollinators. Once the flower opens and shows yellow the stem also seem to go tough and woody,  at the slightest hint of yellow pick off the flowers and throw it away, as they stop the plant producing more flower heads.

We also have problems in winter with deer, and the cunning devils can simply nibble through the netting but also simply pull it off.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 09:19:54 »
Crystalmoon, what we eat with Purple Sprouting Broccoli, Cauliflower etc are the flower buds, not the flowers.  The flowers are yellow.  The yellow flowers do not develop into the buds we are eating, it is the other way round.

No pollination needed for the part we eat.  :wave:

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 13:30:54 »
Thanks so much Digeroo & Galina xxxx

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal