Author Topic: Culinary lavendar?  (Read 1722 times)

Melanie

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments4All
Culinary lavendar?
« on: April 01, 2005, 12:26:38 »
Is there a particular variety of lavendar that's especially good for cooking with? I had a lovely lavendar and lemon cake a few weeks back and would like to try some myself.

Thanks for any tips,
Melanie

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: Culinary lavendar?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 12:32:03 »
I do not have a sweet tooth so most of my cooking is not about puddings. But I guess most sorts would be fine-grow one that would look nice in your garden and try it.

Stephan

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2005, 12:39:33 »
lavendar is appearantly part of a mix of herbes provencale
not sure if there is a prticular variety though for cooking
i have planted my lavendar from last year into the herb and fruit border - and i will take from it for cooking. hope it tastes nice :o

svea
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2005, 19:27:13 »
That sounds lovely.  If you are feeling generous/energetic, perhaps you could post the recipe in the recipes section?

I imagine that you use only the flowers to flavour a cake, but I don't know... ???
Interests: Vegetables, Annuals & Songwriting.  Click here to listen to Charlie's songs.

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2005, 19:35:00 »
i thought you used the leaves - like rosemary?
maybe wrong though

rosemary in cake is gorgeous too :D
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

Lady Cosmos

• Acre
  • Lady of the dunes
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2005, 23:31:34 »
culinary lavender: you can use Tuscan lavender, but the best is Englisch lavender/ true lavender= L augustifolia. Flowers and leaves can be used fresh.

Melanie

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2005, 12:02:51 »
Thanks!

I have some 'lavender vera' seeds left over from my first attempt at growing it two years ago--got totally demolished by slugs when I sowed them outside in pots, so I gave up. I'm ready for a second attempt, though, spurred on by my sweet tooth.  'Lavender vera' sounds like it must be true lavender, but the packet doesn't say augustifolia. Is it the same thing do you think?

Didn't know lavender was good for savoury recipes too (I only know of cake and shortbread recipes) , so will have to persuade the chef to give it a go. (Division of labout: I grow, he cooks, I bake.)

All best,
Melanie

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal