Author Topic: dahlias  (Read 2608 times)

brownthumb2

• Half Acre
dahlias
« on: September 12, 2016, 20:05:01 »
 ive acquired another green house and the only place practical to site it has a couple of large Dahlias growing there and still flowering... Do I move them to another  part of the allotment or do I dig them up and dry them off  ?

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: dahlias
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 20:12:42 »
not sure what part of the country you are however if you could leave them as long as possible before you dig them up maybe heel them in some where untill you lift them for winter they should be ok keep them moist while they are heeled in let the leaves die back and then you can take cutting late spring in your new greenhouse bingo everyones a winner
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 20:29:35 »
Once the greenhouse is erected do you plan on using it straight away?

What's in my mind is; You could  leave them in the position they are now and erect the greenhouse around them ( if practical)  then remove them once they die back.

brownthumb2

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 18:39:42 »
 Thanks for your replys.. The other half was impatient to erect the green house, so i had to pot them in large pots and hope for the best   the house would have came down right in the middle of  each tuber .. By the way  I am in Cornwall not far from the a30  and the Eden project

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal