Author Topic: Moving a rose bush  (Read 3704 times)

gray1720

• Hectare
Moving a rose bush
« on: September 11, 2016, 20:46:29 »
Now that I have a garden as well as an allotment, I'm planning to move various items from my old flower section (a bit of a disaster area this year, never got it sorted before it got knee deep in twitch and other such rubbish) to the garden, and putting weed control membrane down over winter to deal with the couch etc.

I have various things I'd like to move out depending on how easy they are to de-twitch - a stonecrop, perennial sweet pea, annd a tough as old nails shrub rose, but there's also 'er indoors' special Whisky Mac which has never thrived (too wet and windy, I think), and needs pampering. I'm working on the assumption that roses are like deciduous perennials generally, and ashould be moved in winter when dormant.

Is that right? If not, what should I do, please?

Thanks,

Adrian
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Moving a rose bush
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 23:08:09 »
That's the way to do it. Make sure you prune really hard, none of this  just tipping out stuff.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 16:18:11 »
i agree with ace a real hard prune bone meal in the planting hole water well dont forget to plant it below the graft so the union is under the soil and you will have no probs and i bet it comes back better next year
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 22:14:55 »
Ta for that, my only concern is that if  I prune it hard it may be so hard to see that I tread on it! It's that struggling, poor wee thing.

Now I just need to shift the Leylandii so that I can see how much space I have too  put stuff in...

Adrian
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 08:07:36 »
eylandii
Ta for that, my only concern is that if  I prune it hard it may be so hard to see that I tread on it! It's that struggling, poor wee thing.

Now I just need to shift the Leylandii so that I can see how much space I have too  put stuff in...

Adrian

Prune to about 3 or 4 buds, take out any dead wood, prune with a sloping cut to stop water laying in the cut. Leylandii really robs the ground of nutrients so plenty of compost/dung, not just in the hole but the whole area and rake off any leylandii leaves, old or new.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 09:42:41 »
I have had some roses struggling in my borders - cold in winter, lots of competition - so I dug them up and put them in pots to be pampered for a season or two and that has worked well.   Gives them time to make new roots and have personalised feeding and watering and they don't get accidentally trampled.
Obxx - Vendée France

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal