Author Topic: Ducks maybe?  (Read 1717 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Ducks maybe?
« on: March 28, 2005, 23:35:47 »
You duck keepers amongst us, well, I know of at least one of you....do your ducks like braod beans and spinach?  I ask because last week something grazed the tops of my autumn planted broadbeans - some were covered with netting, some weren't - me lazy!  'Ron' reakon slugs, but I thought that were a bit iffy, would a slug slither up a plant, eat the top leaves, and slither down again?  Then today, talking to 'Geoff' he asked after my broadies, and said that something had wandered along his row of spinach and eaten half of each leaf, not all, just half!  We decided pigeons, but a new lottie chappie who arrived at the crack of dawn mentioned he saw a gathering of ducks...(what is the collective name for a group of ducks....a quack....?) wandering about.  Could it have been them????

loz

• Half Acre
  • See my stuff on www.arthursplacecattery.co.uk
    • Arthur's Place Cattery
Re: Ducks maybe?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005, 21:51:22 »
Hi EJ

My ducks dont do much damage to veg if they get out, but do clear up the slugs!They tend to squash the plants rather than eat them. ;)

My guess would be pesky pigeons :o

Loz
Horses, ragdolls, bracco italiano, Polands,Silkies, and a garden - when do I have time to eat? - www.arthursplacecattery.co.uk

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: Ducks maybe?
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005, 22:20:15 »
Thanks Loz.  In the farm next to our lottie site there is a huge lake and the chappy/chappess keeps loads of ducks, plus swans frequent the pond, and saw a few heron last year, so I guess they stopped short on their way back to the water.  I would happily do a trade with 'Donald' and his chums, a couple of eggs for a couple of broadbeans seems like a fair swap!  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal