Author Topic: what beef cuts do you put in you beaf stew.  (Read 4753 times)

byrd2park

what beef cuts do you put in you beaf stew.
« on: September 11, 2016, 03:45:56 »
what beef joints do you put in your beef stew?
I been planning making beef stew for day after Christmas as usual.
But decide to up my game this year. so plan adding more then just standard stew meat this year,
I would like hear your suggestions different beef joints to improve my stew.

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
Re: what beef cuts do you put in you beaf stew.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 10:11:37 »
Wow!  Firstly that's some forward planning ... and secondly what an unusual meal to plan for the day after Christmas (it's turkey, turkey and more turkey for me!)

But to answer the actual question ... although stewing is traditionally used to make tougher cuts of meat more tender and edible ... I find myself going for more prime cuts of beef when I want to make a really special slow-cooked stew ... rump steak becomes so tender that it melts in the mouth when cut in to nice pieces ... but for extra flavour you could also add some parts on the bone.  Placing a star anise in the stew cooked at lower temperatures for many hours will also impart an amazing depth and richness to the stew.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 11:17:43 »
I find traditional stewing beef a bit poor, tend to use braising beef.  Used to be chuck but you do not see that any more.  I use a pressure cooker, 15 minutes and any meat is melt in the mouth. 

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 14:45:35 »
Pressure cooked stew?  I've never heard of that one!  Must try it if it tastes as good as a slow-cooked casserole but only takes 15 minutes.

byrd2park

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 15:30:29 »
squeezyjohn
your house after Christmas sounds like this advert.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zThF-cVzm8

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2016, 16:36:50 »
It's traditional!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2016, 18:07:09 »
The classic Austrian Tafelspitz is made with topside of beef.  A nice dish on its own and a really good broth as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tafelspitz

:wave:

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2016, 18:17:16 »
braising steak and oxtail, oxtail must be on the bone one small handful pearl  barley and a small handful of pea beans onion  small glass red wine flat mushrooms coarsely chopped herbs of your choice a thingy of butter salt/pepper to taste
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2016, 19:07:53 »
I find traditional stewing beef a bit poor, tend to use braising beef.  Used to be chuck but you do not see that any more.  I use a pressure cooker, 15 minutes and any meat is melt in the mouth. 
Find yourself a proper "Family butcher". Take his advice, buy the best you can afford, get some with some FAT, its where the flavour lies. Cook it long and slow. Kidney as well builds the gravy, use stock from bones, not Bisto!
Also, consider venison, front end is affordable and cooked well, superb!
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2016, 18:04:10 »
Back in Middlesex I had this conversation in my local butchers and we swayed back and forth with what cuts were used for stews
we both tried the same cut being shin of beef as its great value for money and the long cooking slow cooker process produces a tasty result .....we both agreed on browning the meat to give that initial flavour he on the bone and me trimming the bone of the meat and cubing it.......I like to brown the veggies particularly the onions as this adds a sweetness to the pot..deglazing the pan with port and adding to the pot is a good start to your flavour depth.....8 hours minimum with a rich meaty stock plus some root vegetables are a must ....for me fresh thyme marjoram plus a couple of bay leaves .....anyway it must be said  I did bow down to steve "the butchers" resulting stew as the marrow in the bone certainly added a more intense flavour ....so ...blimey for around 8 years I cook stews with same....so....layers of flavour with a rich red wine near the end or use the port at the start ....or a splash of Worcestershire sauce or maggi Wurze or other flavourings  ...these will add salt so go easy on the seasoning but keep checking it
along the way....roasting a garlic bulb before hand and squeezing the resulting puree into the pot is another flavour but again I guess it all depends what the folks expect from a Christmas stew cardamom pods add a Christmas spice as does rosemary so a nice balanced mix will get your foodies queuing up for seconds ........... :blob7:

Good luck with your stew

Gazza

picman

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2016, 19:53:12 »
Had some tasty 'skirt'  from supermarket , but it can be a bit chewy..   

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2016, 18:29:49 »
Shin for sure, but would add some whole oxtails on the bone then remove the meat when cooked and put it back in. I find that shin is a little sticky but it has  flavor that I like. I don't like the higher cuts of meat for stews I think it need that  bit of fat and the cartilage to get the sweetness  in the gravy. If I eat steak or prime rib I prefer the blood taste one gets in very lean meat but in a stew I prefer the sweetness.
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2016, 07:40:28 »
Hi there at Christmas I make a venison stew rather than beef as it just seems to be a bit more special & I cook it in a slow cooker so it is no hassle at all. We have duck for our xmas dinner as we got very tired of boring old turkey.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal