Author Topic: German Red garlic - disappeared?  (Read 2214 times)

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
German Red garlic - disappeared?
« on: September 05, 2016, 10:17:10 »
Hi there ... For this year's autumn planted garlic I really wanted to go back and try German Red again as I remember it being a really good variety that made big bulbs - I think I must have bought it years ago from Dobies.

Anyway - a google search shows that it's still available in the USA - and mentioned often ... but I can't find it for sale anywhere in the UK (or Europe even).  Does anyone know why this is?  Could it simply have been re-named?  Re-naming seems to go on all the time in the garlic world and really does my head in!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: German Red garlic - disappeared?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 11:31:32 »
Give it another week or two.  http://www.reallygarlicky.co.uk/news.php  This company for example say that their seed garlic will be available from mid-September.  Others may be operating along similar dates.  Good luck finding it again.   :wave:

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 13:53:22 »
Thanks for the heads up - but I have looked for the last two years as well and haven't been able to buy any - the really garlicky company don't do that variety.

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 09:48:58 »
I have also searched around and had the same luck as you
However you might be interested in these heritage varieties which are maybe similar.

http://www.dtbrownseeds.co.uk/Onions-Garlic-1/Hardneck_2/Heritage-Garlic-Bulb-Collection.html

Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal