Author Topic: Cauliflower Pilau Rice  (Read 4595 times)

Paulines7

• Hectare
Cauliflower Pilau Rice
« on: August 29, 2016, 09:46:35 »
I thought I would post my recipe for making Cauliflower Pilau Rice as it's lovely with curries or stir fries and doesn't have the carbs that ordinary rice has.  It's very tasty and ideal for diabetics or for those who follow a low carb regime in order to lose weight. 

This makes one portion.

Ingredients
A few cauliflower florets.
1 teaspoon of coconut oil.
A little water
Pilau Rice Seasoning (I use Schwartz)

Method
Grate some cauliflower into a bowl.
Put the coconut oil into a small frying pan and allow to melt over a gentle heat.
Add the caulifower and stir.
Sprinkle with some seasoning and add a little water until it is just below the top of the cauliflower.
Increase the heat and keep stirring the mixture until all the water has gone.
Serve with stir fry or curry.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Cauliflower Pilau Rice
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 10:20:39 »
Thank you Pauline for this recipe, such a good idea for many on diets and definitely tasty enough for the rest of the family too.  :sunny:  Can of course be varied with other herbs and spices and even done in the microwave.  Very forgiving 'recipe'. 

Just googled what the spice mix is all about as I am not familiar with this particular one.  It is a blend of sweet pepper powder (paprika),  cinnamon, cardamon and turmeric and a few more ingredients. 

Coconut 'oil' is pricey but it does add a very lovely subtle flavour to food and goes well with stir fries and curries.  Also with Chicken Satay or similar.   :wave:

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 11:22:08 »
sounds tasty Pauline ide like to make that,do you use spices much as whole florets and some chunked potatoes creates the Ol Indian fav Gobi aloo its more a side dish but can be made as a main for vegetarian usage.

Gazza

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 13:05:57 »
Thank you Pauline for this recipe, such a good idea for many on diets and definitely tasty enough for the rest of the family too.  :sunny:  Can of course be varied with other herbs and spices and even done in the microwave.  Very forgiving 'recipe'. 

Just googled what the spice mix is all about as I am not familiar with this particular one.  It is a blend of sweet pepper powder (paprika),  cinnamon, cardamon and turmeric and a few more ingredients. 

Coconut 'oil' is pricey but it does add a very lovely subtle flavour to food and goes well with stir fries and curries.  Also with Chicken Satay or similar.   :wave:

Coconut oil is pricey in most supermarkets, Galina, but is a lot cheaper in Chinese supermarkets.  Our nearest one is in Southampton, 30 miles away, but when we visit our son and his family who lives there, we go and stock up. 

sounds tasty Pauline ide like to make that,do you use spices much as whole florets and some chunked potatoes creates the Ol Indian fav Gobi aloo its more a side dish but can be made as a main for vegetarian usage.
Gazza

We use a lot of spices, especially the Moroccan ones.  We haven't had Aloo Gobi and it's out of bounds for me due to the potatoes!

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 14:16:41 »
I'm interested in the Moroccan spices you use Pauline.  Can you advise me what to use?

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 14:43:30 »
.  We haven't had Aloo Gobi and it's out of bounds for me due to the potatoes!

Thank you for the tip about the Chinese supermarket Pauline.  Mine came from Holland and Barret sale.  Thinking cap on - what if we substituted courgette chunks for the potatoes?  Gazza this would be how I do your recent stuffed marmande tomato recipe for myself, the others have potatoes.  And winter squash over the winter months.  Not the same, but nothing wrong with it and if it keeps us on the right side of the big D, all the better.  :wave:
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 14:45:01 by galina »

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 14:48:34 »
not an issue Pauline,just make it without the potato and bulk up on the cauli....as a side dish its delicious.

Ras El Hanout...Yorkshire lass......google that...its a mine field of information on north African spice.

it basically means top blend......a lot of the best spice markets in north Africa put together their best spices and call it Ras El Hanout
some are closely guarded secrets but for ...jo public you can buy .....lets say 10 to 20 spices used in their culinary cookery and keep adding what you like to the blend ...we are only talkin 1 teaspoon of each but every now and again its fun to find a wonderful combination that works for vegetarian meals and meats......

im no different I can buy a jar from Tesco and use it but its more fun to learn about what makes the mixture tick...hence you end up doing it yourself.

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 14:57:46 »
Great idea Galina,i would dare to say the Indians as a nation are probably the finest vegetable cooks I know due to their religion being a fundamental long time acceptance of vegetarianism ......funnily im just catching up with rick steins india and the veggy curry and dishes do look scrummy........anyway......I was waffling yes......courgette masala is lovely and I see no reason why you cant supplement it......I would only say you don't cook it together as the cauliflower florets  are a robust vegetable as is the spud...but the courgette would break down to easy and it would go pulpy .....so I would cook that aside till just cooked through and add it to your cauliflower just before the end if that makes sense................... :tongue3:....whos to know as long as its eaten.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 01:36:32 »
It's surprising how often we substitute courgette for potato or pasta.  John made a lasagne type meal last night, made up with layers of courgette and a mince mixture and then topped with cheese and put in the oven.  It was delicious.  We served it with sliced, flat, French beans that were picked just beforehand and then steamed.

Yorkshire Lass, the Moroccan spice that we use is the Ras El Hanout mentioned by Gazza.  We found out about it from one of his recipes on here a couple of years ago and have used it ever since.

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 09:05:40 »
Thanks for the info Gazza and Pauline.   Moroccan tagines here we come!  Will let you know how I get on.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal