Author Topic: The P word again!  (Read 2557 times)

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
The P word again!
« on: March 27, 2005, 12:31:52 »
I have just this hour discovered I have the use of a 1/2 of someones allotment for a year, they are too busy to work it this season, so apart from the obvious HURRAH!!!!  The question is......potatoes again!!
I have always grown first earlies due to lack of space, but now want to grow potatoes that will hopefully keep us going through the winter. (how exciting)
So I need a good keeper, slug resistant. blight resistant (HAHAHAHA) variety.
Any ideas? I have grown 2nd Earlies Kestrel with sucess, would these work or should I go more for the King Edwards?
Have now thrown out all my catalogues, (to avoid further temptation) so have no idea what to get!   DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Lily

• Acre
  • When the going gets tough, hide in the allotment.
Re: The P word again!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 12:42:18 »
We grew King Edwards last season and although we had a good crop, they disappeared during boiling, so we are not growing them this season.  We are, however, giving the following a try
Maris Bard - Earlies
Milva - Main Crop
Maris Peer - Salad, we grew these last season and they had a wonderful taste and kept their firmness.
Charlotte - Christmas potatoes. These will be delivered in June as they are being kept in cold storage until them. 

Hope this helps, good luck. And make sure you are not planting them in the same place potatoes were planted last season.
' A problem shared is a problem halved'

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2005, 12:47:35 »
DP I'm new to potatoes this year but Cara is a potato I chose because the nursery where I bought them from said they had good disease resistance and are good keepers. Here is a link with a description and picture.

http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_diary/fruit_veg_mini_project_november_1_potato_cara.htm
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2005, 12:57:59 »
Kestrel fits your description - that'd definitely be on my list; and Pink Fir Apple, if you've got the space for a much later crop?

Good luck - Gavin

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2005, 16:00:38 »
Cara is 'particularly susceptible'. Best buys are 'Estima, Kestrel, Pentland Ivory & Dell & Wilja'. And lift by early September. (HDRA)

But, as Gavin says, I find that PFA gets away with it every year, even though it's lifted later than all others. But do allow lots of room for it! Foliage can be very sraggly!

Later - sorry - that was slug resistant! Blight resistant later ones are 'Lady Balfour, Cara, Admiral, Symfonia, Verity, Sante, Remarka, Sarpo Mira - & Cosmos!!'
« Last Edit: March 27, 2005, 18:01:44 by tim »

Lady Cosmos

• Acre
  • Lady of the dunes
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2005, 16:04:06 »
Last years most heavy crop was for me
Pentland squire, Maris Peer and Desiree, still eating them ;D ;D

This year they are again on my list, with Dorees, Wilja's, Black vitaline and Anya. :P :P

simon404

• Hectare
    • Simon's Allotment
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2005, 17:55:50 »
I grow desiree as a maincrop and they keep well. Make great chips too!

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2005, 19:50:14 »
Search for heritage pototatoes.  Mr Fothergills do some.  They come in plant forma nd are really old and rare varieties.  There are no certified seed suppliers and the advice with these crops is that you save your own seed.  I do not know how this will go down with other plot holders but I bet you will be in for a few taste suprises - and what else is allotmenteering about?

I am a newbie so I will not be doing any of the above until at least next year!!
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2005, 20:56:23 »
On the advice offered to date:

Don't boil potatoes, steam them (and don't peel them either - most of the goodness is just below the skin)

Kestrel are very good in most respects but do not keep much after Christmas - the same is true of most second earlies.

Cara does have some blight resistance but are loved by slugs

Sarpo Axona and Mira are both totally blight resistant and don't seem to be bothered much by slugs, the yield is very high and, if kept until after Christmas, taste reasonable.

King Edward do keep and are tasty but do need soil in good heart.

So, adding that all up.

If you have good solid soil with plenty of muck go for King Edward

Otherwise, Kestrel for use up to Christmas and one of the Sarpos (only available from T&M) for use after Christmas

Phil
« Last Edit: March 27, 2005, 20:58:18 by philcooper »

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2005, 22:52:08 »
...  So I need a good keeper, slug resistant. blight resistant (HAHAHAHA) variety.
Any ideas? I have grown 2nd Earlies Kestrel with sucess, would these work or should I go more for the King Edwards?
Have now thrown out all my catalogues, (to avoid further temptation) so have no idea what to get!   DP

Well I tried out the Sarpo varieties from T&M last year, and they didn't get blight, didn't get slugs and I dug them up in November and still have one or two left now! And someone else at my lotties left hers in the ground and was still digging in early Feb.

Not the best taste, but everything else was great!

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2005, 10:22:02 »
Thank You all for your imput! I shall have a cogitate and let you know what I get.....leaning towards the sarpo ones at the mo having read a bit more about them!.  DP

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2005, 12:32:23 »
This year's may be sold out?

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2005, 14:19:40 »
Have just ordered from T&M, Sarpo Mira and Sarpo Axona! Hurrah they were still in stock  ;D

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2005, 16:57:34 »
Interesting post....I have found this site so informative nover the last few months since I discovered it... does get compulsive sometimes to excess.  ;D

I have changed varieties of several veggies since reading  comments made by you all

A question that has not yet popped up on this thread and may help new allotmenteers...what quanitiesm of seed potatoe do you buy?

I grow three varieties currently and have bought 3 kgs of each...this seems to cater for the Governor and I plus the youngest daughter prefers Dad's to the supermarket.. I wonder why?  ;)

Derek
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2005, 20:56:21 »
As Simon104,

I have grown Desiree for 27 yrs., with no complaints. Last year however, for the first time blight struck with a vengeance.

So it's 'Sarpo' at great cost for seed. I've heard the flavour 'ain't much, but need's must!
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2005, 08:25:05 »
Seed potatoes? Quantities have been discussed several times but I can't put my finger on the replies.

My problem is that mail order commits you too more than you need. Local suppliers - or Potato days - where you can choose what you want, are better.

'The Book' says that earlies give you 1.25lb each & main, 2.5lb. But, as I've said earlier, my 2nd earlies gave me 9lb each!! So?? And that's on a soil with pH7.5!!

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2005, 09:53:36 »
Quantities are difficult because the seeds vary so much in size (not a problem at Potato Days - thanks Tim -  where you buy by the tuber) but when buying a 3kg net you don't know how many you're going to get and can very by 100% from smallest to largest (and Pink Fir Apple/Ratte/Belle de Fontenay give you even more)

All you can do is try to count them through the net and allow for 1' between 1st earlies and 15 - 18" between 2nd Earlies and Maincrop - not much help I'm afraid

Phil

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal