Author Topic: Raspberry Canes  (Read 1850 times)

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
Raspberry Canes
« on: September 06, 2016, 13:41:33 »
Hi All, Lovely to be back. Sorry I haven't been for a while. Had a year of poor health, but thankfully back on track.

Anyway back to business: I have a big allotment myself, but I am also secretary of a Community Allotment, and I would be really grateful if I could have your comments. Our Community Allotment  plots are very small at only 8' x 8' .  We have one plot holder who has grown raspberry canes on theirs, which in my opinion is not really appropriate. Now the bushes have completely taken over their small space and have started to migrate to other plots which are only separated by a tiny path. 

Do you think we should ban soft fruit on the small plots, and  perhaps have some sort of communal area for soft fruit away from everyone, or should people be allowed to grow what they like even though the I think the plots are too small. I would rather see a variety of different crops on the plots rather than a whole lot of bushes that get out of hand.

I would really appreciate other peoples thoughts. Thank you busy_lizzie  :wave:
live your days not count your years

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: Raspberry Canes
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 13:45:54 »
hi busy there is one person on this site that says her allotment site you can only grow fruit in containers as the plots are so small maybe this could be solution rather than a total ban and in containers they should not get out of control just a thought hope this helps and good luck
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 14:28:58 »
With raspberries being such a popular fruit I would suggest they should not be banned but members should be told that they must be kept under control.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 11:16:16 »
Our raspberry plants crop up everywhere and are very difficult to control. It always amazes me just how far they can travel underground.   I favour your idea of having the raspberry plants in a communal area away from the main plots.  Have you spoken to the plot holder about them?

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 12:33:16 »
Hi, Thanks very much for all your comments. It is my view that the plots are just too small to grow raspberries on them, as they are very invasive, and however  much you ask people they don't keep them under control. I think it can't just be a free for all on our site, as whatever you do on such small sized plots it has a big impact on your neighbour and the rest of the site. I too think that a container is probably the best option at the moment. I was pleased to hear what you all thought to see if it matched my opinion, so thanks everybody for giving me your view.  :wave: busy_lizzie xx
live your days not count your years

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal