Author Topic: Getting hands clean !  (Read 5537 times)

GRACELAND

• Hectare
Getting hands clean !
« on: August 12, 2016, 14:15:31 »
Ho do gardeners  on here get there hands clean ? We have that soil that seems to  either stain  the hands or Get ingrained in the skin?
         I don't wear Gloves that often as i find you can't feel what your doing . Soa  any tips 
                                         Please ? :BangHead:
i don't belive death is the end

Nora42

• Acre
Re: Getting hands clean !
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 15:01:50 »
hi,

I always use granulated sugar and oil and a drop of tree tea oil .
mix oil with sugar to make a scrub rub all over your hands wash off with soap and water. makes your hands soft and the sugar gets rid of the stains.
doesn't cost a fortune either and has been used for ever. another tip is to scrape your mails on a bar of soap so they are full and when you have finished in the garden wash out the soap and you should have clean nails.

Nora.
Norf London

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 16:57:37 »
i got some gardeners hand scrub works really well or sand and washing up liquid hope this helps
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

rollingrocktavern

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 17:50:25 »
a good pumice soap will work

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 20:17:21 »
E45 cream from Boots before you start. If ,like me, you suffer little cracks below/besides nails that trap soil and muck there is something called Lotil cream that will seal and cure almost overnight, saving pain and risk of infection. Recommended.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 23:30:43 »
I like salt&soil scrubs any type will do or make your own

DUke 🙂
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2016, 04:37:21 »
it's interesting that I find the 'modern' liquid so-called hand-wash has no effect whatsoever on my hands when  stained with tomato plant, whereas old-fashioned ordinary soap gets it off straightaway, particularly if it is the old dark green household soap. And yet the liquid soaps seem so popular.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2016, 21:48:04 »
Liquid soap is a con. A bar of soap lasts ages, a nail brush and soap or washing up liquid is good. Havenot got a dish washer so my hands are always clean, dirt in my nails a bit of a problem but i keep them very short.why pay 1 pound for liquid soap, when 6 bars last about a year. But i have got one with fish on the bottle which looks pretty, but only really 4 grandchildren.

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2016, 15:21:23 »
I think a lot of people nowadays don't actually get properly dirty hands! Liquid soap works perfectly well if your hands are pretty clean already and you just want to "de-germ" them after using the toilet or before handling food, etc.

Bar soap is definitely better for getting rid of dirt and stains, I agree.

My problem is getting soil out from under my fingernails. Even with a nail brush I find it really difficult. :/

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2016, 19:08:17 »
As Borlotti said, washing the dishes gets my nails clean (we do have a dishwasher but there's always something left out!)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2016, 21:18:23 »

My problem is getting soil out from under my fingernails. Even with a nail brush I find it really difficult. :/
The other day we were invited to a party and I could not get the tomato dirt out from under my fingernails even after doing all the washing up.  So I painted them bright red!  Nobody knew!  But my usual remedy is also to cut fingernails  short.  :wave: 

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2016, 22:27:18 »
I find that washing my hair is the best way of cleaning my nails.

Unfortunately, I am going increasingly bald.

Painting my fingernails red may be the solution then, though my wife may find it strange!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2016, 08:39:30 »
My aunt used to say that you should wash socks.  She said it solved two problems at the same time.

So people paint their nail to cover up the dirt!!!  I shall never see painted nails in the same light again!!!   

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2016, 09:06:40 »
I use a natural exfoliating soap that has sage & caraway in it....does feel gritty when using it but really gets rid of the dirt. I also find that washing my hair gets under my nails the cleanest. I tend to keep my nails very short now I have the allotment but hadn't thought about using nail polish to cover up so may start letting them grow again  :happy7: 

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2016, 17:52:38 »

The other day we were invited to a party and I could not get the tomato dirt out from under my fingernails even after doing all the washing up.  So I painted them bright red!  Nobody knew!  But my usual remedy is also to cut fingernails  short.  :wave: 

I don't mind them looking bad but I want them clean when I'm preparing food!

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2016, 22:54:37 »
Our old village baker used to have the cleanest nails one could ever find....
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2016, 23:50:07 »
Our old village baker used to have the cleanest nails one could ever find....

yeah - dough is fantastic stuff for cleaning your nails ... all the dirt ends up in the bread!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal