Author Topic: Vitax 6x natural fertiliser - any one tried it?  (Read 5503 times)

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
Vitax 6x natural fertiliser - any one tried it?
« on: August 19, 2016, 07:39:08 »
Hi everyone my husband went to get me some manure but came back with Vitax 6x 100% natural fibrous fertiliser instead. The bag says it is 6 to 8 times richer than farmyard manure & that you use handfuls instead of barrowloads. It is supposed to condition soil & feed plants with one application lasting a whole season. Sounds a bit too good to be true to me so I wondered if anybody here has had any experience with using it?

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: Vitax 6x natural fertiliser - any one tried it?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 07:47:29 »
It's just chicken poo - I guess no different to other chicken poo but it is heat treated to guarantee no pathogens.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 07:53:38 »
Hi BarriedaleNick, I did have a look at the blurb on line about it & it does seem good that it definitely has no weeds/pathogens in it but I am surprised that this chicken poo is 6 times richer as a fertiliser than farmyard manure...or is all chicken poo that much richer than manure?

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 09:24:14 »
We used some several years ago, the main thing is the very very strong smell.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 00:29:14 »
I must be odd because I like the smell of it......
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

pumkinlover

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2016, 08:13:24 »
We use groworganic on our site. It is the pelleted form and very popular. Works well.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2016, 16:59:43 »
I like the smell too😂. I used it during the first two years of my allotment when I had no home made compost or a source of manure. I felt it was good stuff but how do you really know unless you carry out a like for like trial. What I do know is it's easy to transport,clean to use, a little goes a long way. We stopped using it when we were able to use manure from sourced from a friends horses. I would use it again if I had to.

duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 09:28:07 »
Thanks everyone for your replies I now look forward to using it even if I may need to hold my nose lol  :toothy10:

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 13:06:07 »
Chicken pellets shouldn't smell if they've been kept dry, but if their cover is a bit rudimentary (at the shop or your own storage) then horizontal drizzle will get in and you will get manure smells or sometimes just ammonia.

Cheers.

With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal