Author Topic: Weird season!  (Read 3209 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Weird season!
« on: August 16, 2016, 22:06:42 »
I've got forget-me-nots flowering on my plot today!

terrier

• Acre
  • North Wales
Re: Weird season!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 11:33:34 »
Weird? I've got Victoria plums, Denbigh plums and Damsons all ripening at the same time. I've never seen green plums on my trees this late in the season before. I have a couple of pear trees that havn't had any fruit on for a number of years but this year there is a small crop. I've had the worst year ever for courgettes, loads of male flowers but very few female.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 13:06:25 »
Agreed!

Not only that, gardeners in different parts of the country seem to have enjoyed very different conditions. I am in the East Midlands and to be honest it has been a very good growing season in this locality.

A few negatives, some cold spells in spring, more slugs about than usual, and some potato blight that reduced the yield from my second earlies. But otherwise a good few positives too. Once things warmed up, enough sunshine with no prolonged drought, and I have been lucky to get good crops of sweet corn, roots of all sorts, beans of all sorts, onions garlic and shallots, squashes, cape gooseberries, and even a few cucumbers.

But this season what has been really really wierd, in my view, has been the astonishing absence of blackfly. None to be seen anywhere hereabouts for most of the season. And to see those very early tender shoots on broad beans completely free of this pest was quite astonishing.

Indeed it was only a week or so back I saw a small patch on some runner beans. So my first sighting of blackfly was late August! How is that for wierd?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 13:08:05 by Beersmith »
Not mad, just out to mulch!

cudsey

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 18:30:34 »
I agree was only thinking this morning that for the first time for a few years no blackfly  here in Yorkshire but have had a lot of ants and slugs so if its not one thing its another
Barnsley S Yorks

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 20:04:05 »
This is like playing "snap".

I too have seen more ants nests this season than I can ever remember before.  Of course they're not really a big nuisance on an allotment, but rather wierd all the same. Friends on neighbouring plots have mentioned this too.

Is this all an effect of the very mild winter and/or the cold spring?

Anyone have any other theories?
Not mad, just out to mulch!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal