Author Topic: Green manure - does Rye inhibit seed germination after digging in?  (Read 2063 times)

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
Hi everyone I plan to sow a mix of Rye & Vetch as a green manure into some of my raised beds that have grown two different crops this season to help to replenish the soil for next year. I seem to vaguely remember reading that Rye can inhibit seed germination for up to 4 weeks after being dug in but I can't think where I read this & the green manure seed packets don't mention it....has anyone had a problem with seed germination after using Rye as a green manure?
Thought I had better check it out before sowing as I do tend to grow as much as possible from seeds sown directly at my allotment.

Bill Door

• Acre
  • Calne Wilts The builders put down clayish soil
Re: Green manure - does Rye inhibit seed germination after digging in?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 10:51:51 »
Yes I have read that as well.  I have had no experience of this as I have always dug the green manure in well before needing the ground for sowing. There are scientific papers on this but I don't have the time to bore myself to death to work out what is happening :blob7:

One thing I will warn about and that is that some rye grass produces a prolific amount of root.  This makes digging and breaking down the soil hard work.  However, the following year the soil is a dream to turnover.

Best wishes

Bill

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
Re: Green manure - does Rye inhibit seed germination after digging in?
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 14:45:59 »
Thanks Bill, I will have to make sure I dig it in nice & early then  :happy7:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal