Author Topic: CRimson crush tomatoes?  (Read 2659 times)

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
CRimson crush tomatoes?
« on: August 13, 2016, 16:58:11 »
Is anyone growing these tomatoes. The blight hit my outdoor tomatoes this year so I was thinking of growing the above next year. I would like to know more about their resistance to blight and of course flavour.

DUke🙂
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: CRimson crush tomatoes?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 17:31:20 »
I haven't grown them this year as I was not very impressed with the freebie plants I got last year.

Maybe I have been a little unfair in judging them, perhaps if I had grown them again but from seed this time I might have got better results.

I think I still have seeds I saved from last year so maybe next year I might give them another go.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 17:38:50 »
flavour was average untill  very very ripe the just about ok however if a choice between them or none then crimson crush it is
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2016, 19:12:08 »
Thank you Gentlemen ,

seems like a Luke warm response to them. I think Suttons sell the seeds so will grow a few next year. Every year our allotment gets hit by blight and it's no joke🙁. However this year my Greenhouse tomatoes are fine. I might grow a few tomatoes outside the greenhouse in the back garden next year too.

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 10:01:06 »
I didn't think much of them also but like Tee Gee I started with free plants which arrived looking a little frazzled.  They seemed slow to ripen and they didn't have a brilliant taste - not bad but just not memorable.  They also did get blight right at the end of the season so not one for me.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2016, 10:23:04 »
I grew them last year from Sutton's plants.  I rated them highly - I'd say about 8 out of 10, which surprised me. I do always pick my tomatoes when they're fully ripe, don't like them firm and orange.   I was expecting them to taste rubbish (and I do grow around 10-15 varieties each year).

Our allotments get blight every year without fail too.  These cropped into late October and one plot along someone had left an enormous bed of maybe 20 bush tomatoes to rot down freely with blight - that was from August and despite a few infected leaves and right at the end stems mine went on cropping until the frosts hit them, which is a first.

Do try them! 

Sadly I bought seeds this year and the packet was defective - not a single one germinated.  I asked for a reduction on plants because it was too late to sow again, but they only offered me a refund for the seed packet (not even for the postage too).  Very poor response in my opinion.

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2016, 11:12:44 »
I like them a lot too - am off in a moment to get a few for this afternoon's BBQ.

I've been impressed at the blight resistance, like you mine survived being next to a huge spot of bliighted tomatoes last year and they just sailed through.

I was luckier though - I had 100% germination from my seeds. Wish I'd known about your troubles, I could have sent you some sideshoots for rooting. I overwintered one plant last year and had my first tomato (outside) in late June this year.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2016, 15:18:06 »
maybe its all about the soil  here we have very light soil maybe they suit heavier ground just a thought
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal