Author Topic: wanted scans of diagrams from vegetable garden books,Pamphlet,news papers  (Read 3891 times)

rollingrock

I am working on project with several others and need bit help.
For the project we are taking the diagrams from vegetable garden books,Pamphlet,news papers and converting them all to same format
so they can be looked at  by newbies and old timer alike. the conversion of the diagram will be to format that shows several different  garden spacing methods but all which have same amount plants of each type found in original diagram as well use a standard  production range for vegetable being grown but shown but. the project will as be analyzing the diagrams  and pointing out any flaws in them. the results of project will be free posted online so that anyone interested can see the the results posted on project blog.
thank in advance all who choice to contribute.
as the project receives diagrams they will be post in an index so to hopeful repeat contribution  of same diagrams over and over can be reduced.
Example of a  ww2 garden plan in the index.
http://respublica.typepad.com/.a/6a00d834515fe569e201a73d96fcc7970d-popup
the blog and index are currently just being started so I will include a link in near future. 

If I post this in wrong forum could moderator please move it correct one.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
For the project we are taking the diagrams from vegetable garden books,Pamphlet,news papers and converting them all to same format

Just a thought!

You will have to be very careful that you do not break any copyright laws!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen

Just a thought!

You will have to be very careful that you do not break any copyright laws!

I agree with you Tee Gee.  Plainleaf, it would be best if you took photos from your own garden for illustration purposes.  This avoids copyright issues. 

Hector

• Hectare
That's a lovely idea to help new folks :)

I'm not very knowledgable but with my day- job, I know that copyright can be a hot potato.

If you see a nice pic on web, I've found folk are usually fine about using it. I know with printed material copy rite varies across world but there are timescales after which it can be considered in public domain.

I'll look and see if I can find it at weekend.

Jackie

rollingrock

as for copyright it is not a problem since the project will be using several exception to the laws to prevent problems.
1. fair use exception
2.educational
3. academic analysis

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
as for copyright it is not a problem since the project will be using several exception to the laws to prevent problems.
1. fair use exception
2.educational
3. academic analysis

I am curious as to how this is done due to problems I have had with my books.

When I upload my books to Kindle I usually get a pretty standard letter saying that my book content is similar too or the same as stuff in the public domain and may contravene copyright laws.

Now I agree that my book content is similar to other book content after all many people have written books on gardening and as I see it the comparison is inevitable, for example how many ways is there to grow say " a potato" or any other plant for that matter?

As I see your plan yours will be taking actual extracts from from written works whereas my stuff is my interpretation of previously written works hence my curiosity!

I would imagine there are ways over some copywrite laws as you suggest as there were with my experience with Kindle and I look forward to seeing what yours are.

Personally I would say the whole thing of copywrite is a bit of a grey area and the way I get over it with Kindle is just to give a signed statement that all my book content although similar to others is all my own work, and this seems to satisfy the Kindle system.

I have a couple of very old books that contain written matter like you seem to be wanting but I am unsure if I should send it on in case there is some vague law that will incriminate me.

Then again when I see some of your results and how you get past these laws I might change my mind and try and help if I can......Tg

rollingrock

thanks for asking teegee,
well one the reason I forgot to include in first response is that many of the diagrams that will be used as source material are old government bulletins  on agriculture or from ww1, ww2 victory and war garden guide and book before ww2. Another issue that helps me is that only the graphics iconography themselves can be copy written but not the data the graphics represent. How use it
for example if  Icon in a diagram can represent one corn plant but if convert the corn plant  in my own diagram as square with black border and yellow center. I use used same data but represented it differently.

Also there an exception for use pictures and diagram if they used in matter that criticize a flaw in diagram or faulty information contained in it.
for example I am sure you seem all sort of bad information in gardening diagram in books.

The other issue that would prevent most copyright claims is matter of originality of work it self aka (diagram).  given how much garden info is not original work but copied from other places.
the most obvious thing that which will prevent me having copyright issue it that creator of the work has be willing to enforce a claim and a history of defending copyright.

ttfn
Sorry for going on and on. 
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 01:00:36 by rollingrock »

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Is this the sort of thing you are looking for?

This is only half of the garden as it is spread over two opposite pages of the book I have so I would have to take two scans to get the complete thing

Edit

This is another sample:

« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 15:37:40 by Tee Gee »

rollingrock

teegee yes you hit nail on head. Did first one diagram have the length and  width of plot listed?
also the source of the diagrams would be helpful to since it help at preventing multiple submission of the same diagram from two different people.

the second diagram is also welcome.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 16:13:57 by rollingrock »

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Did first one diagram have the length and  width of plot listed?

It states the whole plot is 10 rods in area it does not give a size as such. So the plot is around 250syds

So work on a plot of around 25yards x 10 yards at a rough estimate.

(this makes the picture roughly 12.5 yards x 10 yds)

also the source of the diagrams would be helpful

The book title is ;" How to Grow & Produce Your Own Food by Charles Boff.

The book is at least 72 years old based on a dated signature in the inside cover of 1945 so it was probably written in the war years for the "Dig for Victory Campaign"

Let me know if there is anything in particular you are after and I will see if it is covered in the book.

I hope this helps.....Tg

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal