Author Topic: Catch Cropping  (Read 3159 times)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Catch Cropping
« on: July 27, 2016, 14:48:17 »
Earlier in the season I mentioned that I was considering getting rid of one of my allotments and that this season I would work a plot as if it were my only plot.

So I decided to try and get more than one crop out of a given area so that would compensate for what I would lose if and when I give up my second plot.

This is one of the areas I worked on.

May / June;

This is how I planted up my 12 x8 greenhouse;

Those are Climbing French beans (Cobra) at the front and my Peppers are behind them.

Mid July:

Over the month I harvested around two standard carrier bags full of beans.

26th July;

As I had had a good crop I decided to remove the beans to give more light and space to my peppers.

27th July (today)

This is how my Peppers are looking and I put in a catch crop of lettuce.

Meanwhile in another green house I planted a second crop of Cobra Climbing beans in front of my Carrots and Celery as you can see here:

So as you see with a little bit of forethought I have utilised my growing space a little better and it looks as if I shouldn't miss my second plot if I give it up.

Other plans I have in mind for later in the season is to move my strawberry bed and turn it into a vegetable bed.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Catch Cropping
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 15:05:14 »
That is making clever use of space Tee Gee  :sunny:

gazza1960

• Hectare
Re: Catch Cropping
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 09:03:06 »
It is so encouraging to read and see your work on the plot and begger me it seems your growing mojo has taken a turn for the better as your post is so full of I did....I did......which is what its all about taking the time to enjoy your greenhouses and there obvious advantages in producing good crops of this and that....nice one my friend.

keep it up....

Gazza

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal