Author Topic: trombocino Squash  (Read 2617 times)

Paulines7

• Hectare
trombocino Squash
« on: August 04, 2016, 11:51:24 »
I was reading on the web that Trombocino can be eaten as courgettes or allowed to grow into a winter squashes.  I would like to try them both ways but am uncertain how long and wide they should be be if cut for courgettes.  If I let them get too big, the bulbous end will be too fat and may have seeds in them.  Has anyone on here eaten theirs as courgettes?

GREGME

• Half Acre
Re: trombocino Squash
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 14:27:29 »
yes they work both ways the small young and green skinned ones as courgettes and as butter-nut type for the larger ones later where the skin toughens and they eventually get pink/orange inside. Seeds not overly a problem in either. Great variety just sprawly and untidy and need space.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 14:36:08 by GREGME »

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 15:18:36 »
Yes just like Gregme said.  Although I must admit that I have only ever eaten any as courgettes that had not fertilised.  If you catch them soon, they still make nice courgettes.  And they are quite a size when they flower, easily 8 inches.  Only problem is that they don't make as many flowers as courgettes.  If too many were eaten as courgettes, there might not be enough time to ripen storage fruit.  And if you let two fruit ripen, they will stop flowering.  Perhaps have separate plants for courgettes and for storage trombos.   

Yes seeds are no problem.  The seed cavity is very small and only at the bulbous end.  This means that you have two feet of neck to eat before you ever encounter the seed cavity.  They keep exceptionally well.  Did not grow any last year or this, but the year before and those kept well into the new year.  The last one we ate in May.  And that actually had no seeds inside at all.  How it kept so well I do not know.  They never quite have the rich flavour of butternuts, but as they are easier to grow in cooler conditions, that makes up for it.  :wave:

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 18:39:43 »
I'm not sure about the bit where if you let two fruits ripen they stop flowering!  My plants made at least 10 mature fruit each two years ago and seem intent on doing the same thing this year ... I don't think I've encountered a squash family plant anywhere near as prolific as these things!

It's a shame we didn't really enjoy eating the squashes ... but they do make amazing snake jack-o-lanterns come halloween.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 06:31:14 »
Goodness!  Shame you don't really like them, that's fab  :wave:

I'm not sure about the bit where if you let two fruits ripen they stop flowering!  My plants made at least 10 mature fruit each two years ago and seem intent on doing the same thing this year ... I don't think I've encountered a squash family plant anywhere near as prolific as these things!

It's a shame we didn't really enjoy eating the squashes ... but they do make amazing snake jack-o-lanterns come halloween.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2016, 10:15:21 »
Thank you so much everyone for your replies.  It's just as well I asked because I was about to cut one off and try it as a courgette and the biggest one is only about 8 inches in length.  I didn't realise that they could still be eaten as courgettes when they reach 2 ft long or over, so I will have to be patient.  It will be a bit of a waste to eat them so small.

I am also looking forward to trying them as winter squash too.  I have plenty of plants as the germination rate was excellent but I have only limited room in my veggie beds to accommodate a few.  I still have half a dozen or so in flower in pots so may have to put them in grow bags.

Thanks again everyone.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal