Author Topic: Espalier Apple Trees  (Read 2499 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Espalier Apple Trees
« on: July 20, 2016, 18:02:14 »
I have 2 7 year old apple trees planted against a fence behind my greenhouse. For the last 6 years I have been attempting to train them espalier fashion up the fence. After a couple of false starts ( had to lift and replant one after a year) one of the trees has finally grown enough and in the right way to train all the way up the fence (6' closeboard type). it now has 3 full tiers and one developing tier, and  is fruiting well. The second tree has been far more frustrating. To date it only has one full tier and instead of strong upright growth in the centre of the plant it produced it from the ends of the horizontal branches, so I have nothing to train upwards to start another tier, this is despite hard pruning in winter to stimulate vigorous new growth. It is clearly a confused plant as it doesn't really flower or fruit at all (hasn't this year), and instead of an attractive espalier all I have is a slightly messy stepover!

In somewhat desperation I have cut away as much of the unwanted vigorous growth on the ends of the tiers as I dare, even going back into older wood, now while doing routine summer pruning. My thinking is that by doing this the vigor is reduced where I don't want it and be stimulated where I do want it. I have obviously not touched the growth I want to develop at this time as this will no doubt confuse the plant still further! I just hope I have done the right thing, although I probably cant make things much worse that they already are! Just have to wait and see and 'correct' things with winter pruning.

Havent got any up to date photos to share yet, as I have only just done the pruning and training! The varieties by the way are Newton Wonder and Tom Putt. Offhand I think its Newton Wonder that's 'misbehaving'. Will check before next post (photos).

Any thoughts or suggestions as to what I can do or might have done wrong?

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: Espalier Apple Trees
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 19:07:38 »
maybe its the rootstock some just aren't suitable for training   hope you get it sorted  newton wonder can get a bit biannual at the best of times maybe best to invest in a maiden and start from scratch
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 21:47:10 »
Both are on the same type of rootstock MM109. This stock is supposed to be the best for training, or so I am led to believe.

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 22:03:54 »
I can't be of that much help apart from to say that I also planted a trio of espalier apples in a line along a fence (about 5 years ago) - they were all on the same MM106 rootstocks but the 3 different varieties seem to have quite different vigour and growing patterns despite this.

Of my 3, Bramley is by far the most vigorous and has branches about twice as thick as Egremont Russet (with Roundway Magnum Bonum sitting somewhere in between) ... Bramley seems to want to shoot upwards and I could technically keep adding tiers to that tree very easily.  However Roundway Magnum Bonum really struggles to make new vertical growth to take side branches from despite the existing limbs seeming healthy and growing well.  It's possible they may have found different root conditions beyond the holes I dug for them which could be a factor - they all have similar light conditions.  I think there's probably something to do with the variety that is grafted on to the rootstock which accounts for these different vigours and habits.

I have managed to force a third tier from the reluctant Magnum Bonum, but only by taking vertical shoots that appear away from the trunk on the second tier and bending them along the wires.  It's not perfect - but it at least makes them fit in slightly better.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 10:00:28 »
Yes my more vigorous tree took time to establigh its first 2 tiers (one tier isnt even complete, then it shot away, producing enough growth in 2 growing seasons to form the third tier and at least begin the fouth. In fact i didnt wait a winter to train it 'by the book' i just staked the main trunk, fixed horizontal canes to posts and tied suitable side branches to the canes. Now looking very pleasing and has reached the top of the fence as i wanted it to do. Just wish the other tree would do the same!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 12:11:10 »
Is the one that's not behaving a tip bearer? They bear fruit at the end of thin branches and it weighs them right down.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal