Author Topic: Is "manure tea" a good way of using fresh manure?  (Read 2098 times)

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
Is "manure tea" a good way of using fresh manure?
« on: July 31, 2016, 12:41:22 »
I am a long, long way from being a manure expert - I've always relied on compost - however...

I have some fresh horse manure (and very little "cured" manure from last year).

I also have some hungry and thirsty celeriac plants that would love some manure tea!

I'm pretty sure the new manure is free from artificial nasties (a bit of manure tea on something expendable might be the best way of being sure??).

I've seen advice to not use fresh manure because it's "too strong" - if that's all that bothered me  I'd dilute it more.

Anyone have actual experience of this problem?

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

Bill Door

• Acre
  • Calne Wilts The builders put down clayish soil
Re: Is "manure tea" a good way of using fresh manure?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 13:33:33 »
My father use to collect sheep manure and soak it in water. He left it for a week and then watered half and half.  He put the sheep manure in a hessian sack. After leaving it to soak for about three weeks he would empty the sack into the compost heap and fill the sack with a new manure to start the process again.

The thing is that doing the same with horse manure you can reduce the risk of weed seeds getting on to the soil.  If you can start one small lot to soak for say a week and at the same time start a bigger lot to soak for two or three weeks before use.  You might need to consider doing one part tea to two parts water.

I don't think you will "burn" the plants with the fresh tea but you might need to consider this as the brew gets older.

Best wishes

Bill

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 13:44:05 »
i use hot manure all the time in my brew and its pigeon so its really strong just dilute to your required rate and different plants need different strength your soon work out your needs hope this helps
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 23:48:29 »
Thanks everybody - I will give it a fair trial just in case there are any 'cides hiding in it.

I'm guessing I should use the 'nuggets' in the pile for this (??) - they haven't had time to put much of themselves into the straw - and the straw probably has lots of salt from urine in it that I'd be better off without.

Incidentally I've remembered what made me doubt the need for 'curing':

I have a vague memory of Harry Dodgson in "the Victorian Kitchen Garden" with a rough sack, a couple of cow pats and a bucket. I think the target was celery, and I think the pats were fresh...

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal