Author Topic: what should I do?  (Read 2861 times)

ACE

• Hectare
what should I do?
« on: July 15, 2016, 13:53:55 »
One of my lottie neighbours is having treatment for the old prostrate problem. I said I would water things for him if he could not make it to the site, but now he has been missing for about four weeks. Somebody is going to phone and find out if he is alright but his plot is starting to grow in. I have cut his paths and pulled docks and thistles, but I know he has particular ways of doing things so I don't touch anything else, although I feel I should. He has been working allotments for at least 40 years so he is no fly by night and will be back as soon as he can. Broad beans need picking, tomatoes are ripe, lettuce has gone to seed. Like I say, what should I do?

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: what should I do?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 15:44:57 »
I think you should do what you can.  Coming back to an overgrown plot is very demoralising.

What would you like someone to do for you?  Sow some more lettuce?

Is there a way of contacting him?  Maybe the committee can ask him to give you a ring.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 15:53:36 »
One way or another you should get in contact and find our how he is.  Do you know his home address?  Maybe they would appreciate broad beans and tomatoes, especially if he is not well enough to get to the lottie and harvest at this time. 

Rather than wondering, it is definitely time to get pro-active and find out. 

PS you are kind to do this for him. :angel11:
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 16:29:02 by galina »

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 17:48:59 »
Almost in the same boat but at least I know where my neighbours are!  I'd say to keep on top of the weeds as best you can.  Pick and freeze the BBs, take the toms and eat them and give him some of yours when he appears, trash the lettuce and sow some more..  Basically I would do the minimum to keep it in some sort of order - all of thisreally depends on if you have the time of course..

I was down your way a few days back - lovely place...  Cycled down to freshwater bay (actually up - bloody girt hill) what a view..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 19:08:47 »
All's well, but  being blasted with the dreaded ray gun has left him a bit weak,. He got there today for an hour, so now I have my instructions. He will not be showing this year, so dead heading the dahlias and keeping the paths clear if and when needed is all he wants.

I was down your way a few days back - lovely place...  Cycled down to freshwater bay (actually up - bloody girt hill) what a view..

Should have gone to Ventnor if you wanted hills,  a lot steeper than the gentle slopes of Freshwater.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 08:34:53 »
Didn't make it all the way round to Ventnor - a buddy was having a mare on his three geared steel frame bike so we got as far as Brighstone and cut back across the island..  Next time!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal