Author Topic: Blackcurrant sticks  (Read 2169 times)

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
Blackcurrant sticks
« on: March 28, 2005, 15:31:13 »
I have been given what can only be described as four sticks of blackcurrant.  All three have signs of root and two have some new growth.  My book only tells me what to do with a bush - plant it deeper and cut back to soil level.  What do I do with what I have got?  I would really like to get them going as blackcurrants are my favourite soft fruit.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Palustris

• Hectare
Re: Blackcurrant sticks
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 15:35:13 »
Exactly as the book says. Plant them say about half their depth in the soil. Then when new growth appears on the above soil level, prune the old stem back to that new growth. The aim is to develop a bowl shaped bush with branches coming from at or below soil level. Remove any growth which goes in towards the centre of the bush.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2005, 17:06:49 »
I have four blackcurrent bushes which hadn't been pruned for a year or two when I took the plot over...I cut them back pretty hard a couple of months ago and they are happily shooting now.

Will I get a decent crop this year?

I am really chuffed (that's a technical term) as the raspberries I dug out of a couch grass bed, cleared and transplanted have started to shoot too.

Derek 
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

Sarah-b

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 12:14:31 »
Now, that's one of the great things about gardening isn't it? - you do a bit, then nature does a bit, then you do another bit and so on...

sb

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2005, 17:00:50 »
If only it wouldn't help the weeds grow so much!!  ;)

dannylewis

• Quarter Acre
    • My allotment
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2005, 19:58:44 »
My Nan got given a well-formed Blackcurrant tree and she took cuttings from them this was like 5 years ago and now they are little bushes about 4ft high producing fruit from the second year onwards and i can tell you they make the nicest blackcurrant pie ever.

dannylewis
www.freewebs.com/lottieplot:- My website, obviously

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2005, 20:16:37 »
Hi Redclanger,

Most of my bushes and trees are like yours, I always call them "sticks in a bag" when I get them from bargain shops.

They look sad at first but so far they always grow and I expect a harvest from last years plantings this year and so on as they get mature enough.

Last year I got one Gooseberry and one Red currant .... thats one berry per baby bush.

Best of luck, Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2005, 20:48:03 »
Sorry Derek, did not read your question sooner. Balckcurrants produce fruit on one year old and older wood, so if all your bush is new,you will not get fruit until next year. You could always come and pick some off ours if you really want some!
Gardening is the great leveller.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal