Author Topic: weed killer in compost  (Read 2706 times)

ACE

• Hectare
weed killer in compost
« on: July 14, 2016, 07:22:05 »
I have just read an article that states weedkillers are getting into the bulking material in commercial compost. Since we are all being good and cutting down on the peat based composts, most of the bulk is made up from garden waste dumped at the tip. The lawn weed killers are the worst as they carry on working even after the grass has been cut and taken to the tip. I have in the past used the council compost as a top dressing, they are not allowed to call it compost but use the term soil improver. I have had good results but have often wondered why some areas had wilted leaves etc. Now I know why. Some of us wonder why our tomatoes get leaf wilt in a growbag and put it down to our own mistakes or a natural pest. Nobody blames the compost. It seems that SylvaGrow is about the only safe one. Never heard of it before today, but if the price is right, that is all I shall be using from now on.

There are no checks at recycling plants here, but over on the continent they are a bit more careful. This is not a scaremongering post, even the RHS have done tests and found the weedkiller in bags of peat free compost.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: weed killer in compost
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 10:13:02 »
I am not surprised with this news,I have suspected it for a long time!

For as long as I can remember we have been advised to not put contaminated organic material into our compost heap,where often the advice was " take it to your local tip".

People are still doing that, I know I do!

Now since restrictions have been put on the use of peat and the suppliers have to use other bulking materials e.g. "What we send to the tip " added to that the councils are trying to avoid tipping in landfill sites plus they get a few bob for what is otherwise landfill material.

Then when you get the farmers using broadleaf weed killers that don't harm their livestock but it remains in their droppings, which is either sold as farmyard manure to the public or quite possibly the compost makers.

I have to admit I have had a bit of trouble with amino- pyrialid on my peppers this year and I suspect  weed killer in the compost or in my manure.

The next thing we will have to be doing is buying some sort of meter ( like a Ph meter) to measure weed killer content.

Is it any wonder I have gone off gardening!

OK I am prepared to compete against nature (the weather) but this sort of thing is just getting too much for me to the point I am seriously thinking of giving up my allotments, and just messing about among my flowers and shrubs in the garden.

Sad isn't it when it comes to this so that commerce can make an extra bob or two!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: weed killer in compost
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 12:35:59 »
A few years ago there was a problem, but I thought they had sorted it now.  I have not had a problem recently.  Mostly the leaves do not wilt but curl up if they have weedkiller problems. 

Not sure it is easy to measure for weedkiller.  The concentrations which affect plants is very low.  Growing susceptible plants is a good way.   

I tested some manure by growing broad beans and was dismayed when nothing came up.  But when I looked the beans were no longer there, so cannot blame the weedkiller - probably squirrels.

I am still very wary of manure and never bury it.   The chemicals break down better if exposed to sunlight.  Also it will breakdown by the time it reaches the roots.  If you bury it the roots can pick up the chemicals before they have a chance to breakdown.

There are procedures for farmers to prevent the weedkillers getting into animals.  Not sure how you police them.

Manure with weedkiller in it does not seem to have worms in it and it does not heat up readily.

I have found that there is some connection with lime in the water, so I do not water anywhere near manure with tap water and leave it to the rain or water from the butt.

I did find that if things were suffering from AP problems I dug them up washed of the soil and planted them in good soil and they perked up quite fast.

I did see some plants at a supermarket which looked as if they were suffering from it - tell tale curly leaves. 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal