Author Topic: I don't know much about bees...  (Read 7291 times)

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
I don't know much about bees...
« on: July 10, 2016, 17:27:08 »
Yesterday I spotted a swarm of honey bees on a tree trunk in my orchard, and we called a local beekeeper to capture them.

They are now in a hive right underneath where the swarm was, and beekeeper chap seems keen to leave them where they are, at least til the end of summer. Everything belongs to him and he'd just be using our garden to keep them in.

We haven't decided what we want to do, because we don't feel that we have enough information yet about what living with bees is like. I know lots of you keep bees so I'd love to pick your brains a bit!

1) The orchard's getting overgrown and really needs wild plants cutting back and the hedge trimming, probably next month. I like it being wildlife-friendly but it needs management to increase the diversity so it doesn't just end up a mass of stickyweed, thistles, brambles and creeping buttercup. Are the bees going to be upset by us working in there?

2) Similarly, how close can I get to the hive without annoying them? There will be fruit to pick later, and I like to collect wild plants for my rabbits from there.

Any other stuff I need to know? I do know a bit about bees in a biology/genetics academic kind of way, but I really don't know much about their behaviour or what it's like having them around. I guess a lot will depend on how aggressive they are...

penedesenca

• Half Acre
Re: I don't know much about bees...
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 05:49:40 »
There nature/ aggressiveness is dictated by the queen, unfortunately there isn't a straight forward answer, it is a case of trial and error. Just don't stand directly in front of the hive as you will be blocking their flight path. I don't know of any reason why he wouldn't take the swarm off site, but I am only a beginner so hopefully someone more helpful will be a long soon.

pumkinlover

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 08:17:40 »
Don't use any smelly chemicals- nail varnish, perfume, or  waterproof a tent.
 They don't like blue overalls either. All from experience when we had bees in the garden.
Oh and they don't like sweaty armpits either! (that one was reported to us!)
I think the rabbits should be ok as long as not too close as they are fairly low!

rowbow

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 10:54:36 »
Hi
Ask the beekeeper to move the hive, the orchard is not in flower and the area needs strimming, hives are normally put in orchards
for pollination to increase the yield tenfold and in most cases more.
It is a simple proses to move the hive, close the entrance at night strap the hive to keep in one piece the following morning move
to new location, or close entrance do the work then re-open, the beekeeper can do all of that for you.
john    :coffee2:
Spring has arrived I am so excited I have wet my PLANTS

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 14:55:25 »
There nature/ aggressiveness is dictated by the queen, unfortunately there isn't a straight forward answer, it is a case of trial and error. Just don't stand directly in front of the hive as you will be blocking their flight path. I don't know of any reason why he wouldn't take the swarm off site, but I am only a beginner so hopefully someone more helpful will be a long soon.

That's good to know, thank you! It was almost dark by the time he got them in the hive, and he didn't want to take them that night because a few of them were still on the tree. I get the impression that he thinks they'll do better here rather than at his home because he has 30 hives already and there's only so much pollen to go around! He said that the orchard looked like a good place for them as I have lots of bee-friendly plants and I only grow organically.

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 14:59:30 »
Don't use any smelly chemicals- nail varnish, perfume, or  waterproof a tent.
 They don't like blue overalls either. All from experience when we had bees in the garden.
Oh and they don't like sweaty armpits either! (that one was reported to us!)
I think the rabbits should be ok as long as not too close as they are fairly low!

All safe there! I don't use perfume or nail varnish and will avoid blue (and keep my pits washed, lol). Rabbits live inside and send me out every day to pick grass and weeds and cut branches for them. ;)

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 15:05:48 »
Hi
Ask the beekeeper to move the hive, the orchard is not in flower and the area needs strimming, hives are normally put in orchards
for pollination to increase the yield tenfold and in most cases more.
It is a simple proses to move the hive, close the entrance at night strap the hive to keep in one piece the following morning move
to new location, or close entrance do the work then re-open, the beekeeper can do all of that for you.
john    :coffee2:

Great, that's good to know that it can be moved or blocked off. :) I think if we decide to keep them permanently they will love my little orchard - I have 3 old apple trees, 2 old pears, a morello cherry, a greengage, a plum, loads of raspberries and brambles, as well as wild plants.

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 15:06:37 »
Great advice everyone, thank you so much. :)

pumkinlover

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 07:41:25 »
They can only be moved three foot at a time though!
Less than three foot or more than three miles or the bees cannot find their way home.

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2016, 00:46:24 »
Bees seem to have settled in nicely, to my inexperienced eyes. At first they spent a lot of time wandering around just outside the entrance but now I'm seeing them moving purposefully on longer flights. I assume they've orientated themselves now.

I've been as close as 8-10ft from the hive and they ignored me completely.

Not that I care about being stung or anything, except I don't want to stress them or upset them and I'd feel guilty if I essentially made any of them kill themselves by stinging me!

penedesenca

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2016, 06:37:47 »
Be careful around them but at the same time remember they are only fussed about making honey. They are not likely to sting unless they see you as a threat. Glad the have settled in, they are fascinating creatures.

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2016, 09:44:19 »
Bees have now been moved to a new home by the beekeeper. I'm actually missing them!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal