Author Topic: Wasps  (Read 2295 times)

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
Wasps
« on: July 09, 2016, 10:15:44 »
I have a few wasp nests in the garden which I don't disturb, but they have just started a nest in a crevice above my back door which is a step to far with them in the house.
 Ther is no pest control company for miles around and so I'm wondering if anyone has had success with any other remedy? I've been told to put petrol on a spong and push this into the hole. . X sunloving

Redalder

• Half Acre
  • East Cornwall, mostly clay and stones.
Re: Wasps
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 12:47:24 »
Rentokil wasp nest killer powder applied at night when they are not active does the trick. Full instructions on the pack.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 14:13:13 »
The Foam spray is just as effective. Again do it after dark.
Gardening is the great leveller.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 18:08:32 »
Agree with both suggestions, the foam will stick ,defying gravity.
BUT take care! Recommend you do not do it after dark, twilight is better, and NEVER use a torch. They will fly down the beam- to you- just like radar guided missles. Do not block off the hole in your wall, they will find another route out, it may well be into your house!
The petrol is a definate no go, vapours may collect in your wall and could explode or ignite,causing a fire. If the nest was away in a bank or hole, Diesel could  used but is not easy to ignite. Unless they are a threat to you, your animals or fruit, leave them to get on with it. While I do detest them, they do beneficial things for crops, such as eating caterpillars, and as pollinators.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal