Author Topic: Onion white rot  (Read 16545 times)

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
Onion white rot
« on: July 04, 2016, 15:16:00 »

I was unable to get any crop from previous onion plantings due to white rot but after reading about using garlic powder this is my crop so fer this year, all I need is some sunshine to help ripen the bulbs up.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
Re: Onion white rot
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 17:11:57 »
Nice crop mate.  :icon_cheers:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 17:19:09 »
At what rate did you apply the garlic powder?
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 22:05:30 »
Great result  :wave:
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

pumkinlover

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 08:59:13 »
Must try this I never seem to be organised enough at the right time. You have a great trip there Laurie.

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 09:20:43 »
Hi Ya, Good result Laurieuk, I bet you are well pleased. I remember reading about a trial being carried out with garlic powder and watering onto your onion ground before planting. I would like more onfromation from you with regards as to where you got yur information. I have bought some garlic powder but haven't been able to find the article I was reading so any advice or help you can give would be most appreciated. Cheers

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 10:30:38 »
d**n they look fine.  My overwintered ones all died off, my sets all got eaten by something and my onions from seed look terrible - all curly or fallen over.  I seem to have completely lost the knack of growing good onions from set or from seed.  Is it possible to over manure for onions - too much nitrogen?
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

timf

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2016, 15:57:09 »
Hi Ya, Good result Laurieuk, I bet you are well pleased. I remember reading about a trial being carried out with garlic powder and watering onto your onion ground before planting. I would like more onfromation from you with regards as to where you got yur information. I have bought some garlic powder but haven't been able to find the article I was reading so any advice or help you can give would be most appreciated. Cheers
http://www.growyourown.info/page173.html gives the details and rate of application

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2016, 19:51:55 »
I have tried the garlic water before with no good results so last aurum as soon as I lifted the crop and whilst the  soil was still warm I used garlic powder that is produces for horses really. I used a 500g container at the cost of £2.45. I used the whole tub so cost was very little . I do think getting the powder on as soon as possible is important also never to walk on other areas then back onto my ono bed. The onions were grown from sets planted in February between rain  showers. I intend to repeat the treatment this year as well to try and make sure of future crops.

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2016, 07:02:02 »
What area was the 500g spread over?
Every pickle helps!

astraman1

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2016, 08:00:02 »
ive had the same success myself last year i got 10 bulbs of garlic out of 40 planted and lost all my onions

this year i have 100% success on garlic and my shallots are still in growing at the minute zebrune from seed

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2016, 09:45:29 »
Hi Ya, from reading this post with extreme inerest I gather that it is better to apply the powder direct tham diluting it and using a watreing can. I have read that 30g per sq metre is the amount. I will be giving it a go definately this year and was pleased to see it can be applied in the autumn. I will do my onion bed and grow my sets and seed in the same bed next year and see how we go. Great and any more tips are most welcome.

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2016, 10:05:51 »
I do believe that it is important to use the powder as soon after lifting as possible to germinate and kill the spores left behind when you lift. I aimed at 30 g / sq.m  .I rake the surface after applying the powder to try and make sure the whole area is covered. Wen I tried garlic water I got no results at all.

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2016, 10:44:58 »
Thanks for all the info Laurie, most useful.
Every pickle helps!

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2016, 11:16:17 »
Hi Ya, thanks for the tips Laurieuk. I will definately give it a go. I tried dilution last year as i read that watering it in then work the soil and water again would do it. I will use 30g per metre ish and hopefully be on the mend. I admit that the rot I am suffering this year is not as bad but that could be down to the weather for being that bit colder. I do wonder how long to take effect as I think of over wintering onions as mine got rot this year. I suppose you could always apply it water it after raking then place polythene over to warm it up. I never thought I would be doing biological warfare in my garden when I started growing veg but there you go. Thanks for help and advice
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 11:20:04 by lezelle »

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2016, 12:05:26 »
It's so heartening to see that this method is working for people!  I will definitely be getting some garlic powder for next years alliums.

You can get 5kg tubs of the stuff from equestrian suppliers and farm supply shops for under £20 so it won't break the bank!

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2016, 16:28:40 »
I'll try this next year as have just had to dig up all my garlic :( Thanks for sharing this :)
Jackie

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2016, 11:23:08 »
Hi Ya, Well I have set the ball in motion and sprinkled the powder roughly as said and raked it into the surface. Luckily we had some rain that will wash it into the soil. Do you apply compost to the surface only and not dig it in. I feel as onions are shallow rooted digging could bring more white rot to the surface. A light fork over may be the way I feel. What do you think/do Laurieuk? I have read to treat the area then dig and treat again but this is all new territory to me. Happy days

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2016, 19:53:12 »
I apply the powder as soon  as I lift the onions , rake just to make sure the whole surface is covered. I then leave the area until the early spring when I dig in compost, well rotted manure or spent hops , I apply fertilizer Vitax Q4 before planting. I have never thought of onions being shallow rooting but we all do things different. Before I ran into white rot I used to double dig my onion bed.

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2016, 20:48:20 »
So from what I understand - the powder needs to be applied to the bed that's going to be used for onion family next year.  The application needs to be made and incorporated in to the soil for a period of time when the conditions are right for the spores to become activated (warm and wet).

I'm not the kind of allotmenter that lets my beds end up empty for half the year - would there be any harm in treating the ground I intend to plant my garlic in November and then putting a quick autumn crop of something like beetroots in to cover the area to keep the ground covered?

It doesn't seem like it should interfere with the treatment.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal