Author Topic: Elderflower Cordial  (Read 2848 times)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Elderflower Cordial
« on: July 03, 2016, 19:10:44 »
Not Champagne, I can make enough sticky mess on the Kitchen floor without knocking over a fermentation bucket...
I've just bee out and picked the flowers, but had to scour 12 acres of allotments to find a picking, because I left it too late they had all finished. Thought I might have to travel to the northern Wastes (Pudsey or York)  to find some. Decided to invest in my own safe supply by growing one.. the question is......

Has anyone made it with the Black Elder Flower heads, can't bring myself to plant such a thug as the "normal" one but the Black are much more controlled. I'm assuming they aren't suddenly poisonous or anything and we will get a "pink" cordial. Has anyone tried it? Does anyone know enough botany to reassure me?

David

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: Elderflower Cordial
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 21:00:00 »
every year i say i must make some next year and yes this year is no exception missed the boat for another season drat drat and double drat :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 21:55:43 »
 :drunken_smilie: :drunken_smilie: :drunken_smilie:
Not Champagne, I can make enough sticky mess on the Kitchen floor without knocking over a fermentation bucket...
I've just bee out and picked the flowers, but had to scour 12 acres of allotments to find a picking, because I left it too late they had all finished. Thought I might have to travel to the northern Wastes (Pudsey or York)  to find some. Decided to invest in my own safe supply by growing one.. the question is......

Has anyone made it with the Black Elder Flower heads, can't bring myself to plant such a thug as the "normal" one but the Black are much more controlled. I'm assuming they aren't suddenly poisonous or anything and we will get a "pink" cordial. Has anyone tried it? Does anyone know enough botany to reassure me?

David
yes the most common is black lace which gives you a pink colour it tastes the same really with no "side effects" hope this helps sorry i should have put this in my first post another senior moment :drunken_smilie: :drunken_smilie:
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2016, 22:21:05 »
Thank You.. I figured it would be fine... just wanted to hear from someone who had done the deed. Do you know anyone in the frozen wastes who might still have some.. they've only gone over this week here in Derby. Further North or higher up say in the Pennines they are probably still in flower.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 08:25:52 »
It's been an odd year for Elderflower - there was loads of it earlier but it was constantly wet and damp and to get the best flavor I think it really does need some sun - preferably in the morning.  Now the Sun has come out it is too late although I did manage some slender pickings last weekend.  Then this morning I noticed that the tree outside in the alley behind my house has loads of blossom but it is all at the top of the tree. 

Still I managed to make about 7 lts in all - I have a couple of ice cube trays and some ice lollies filled for the heady summer days yet come.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2016, 08:43:20 »
enjoy your hard earned pickings,since moving here to Dorset I have not found any in abundance to gather so am waiting for the juicy
berries to arrive on what few trees ive found as they are fantastic fish bait in our local rivers.....oh well needs must.

Gazza

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2016, 18:15:30 »
There were a lot in flower round here about three weeks ago.  I would describe it a very good year, but they are over now and the berries look like being best ever as well.  The best tasting flowers are actually on the smaller plants.  I am beginning to think they are more than one variety.  I have one in the garden it has large berries but evil tasting flowers. Smell more like cats pee.
The berries are reputed to be very anti viral.   I keep a supply in the freeze to ward of colds and flu.  So be pleased you did not make the elderflowers and so have more berries.
Have you tried Linden flowers instead they are at their best at the moment.

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2016, 00:21:32 »
I've missed the boat this year. But it does look like there will be a massive crop of berries later on. I make elderberry jelly, which is fantastic on hot buttered toast... :blob7:

pumkinlover

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2016, 08:56:54 »
We are near Leek at the moment David and there is plenty. Hoping that Mr PKL will pick some for me before we go home. I don't want to do it myself because it sets my hayfever off good style!

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2016, 10:18:56 »
I've missed the boat this year. But it does look like there will be a massive crop of berries later on. I make elderberry jelly, which is fantastic on hot buttered toast... :blob7:

Recipe??
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal