Author Topic: Courgettes  (Read 3162 times)

Paulines7

• Hectare
Courgettes
« on: June 22, 2016, 10:25:50 »
I have just been away for 12 days and expected my courgette plants to have really grown by the time I was back, as they have now been in for at least a month now.  Unfortunately, they haven't grown any bigger!  I can only thing that it is lack of warmth.  The bed had well rotted manure dug into it before they were planted. 

Is anyone else having trouble with theirs getting going?

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
Re: Courgettes
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 11:21:56 »
Mine aren't moving ... they need sun  :sunny:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 11:47:38 »
Finally I have one courgette on the plant that went in early with a lot of protection.  But the ones that were planted three weeks ago are just sulking.  The squashes that were planted under cloches mid-May are barely growing.  Yes too cold, I agree :wave:

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 11:57:49 »
Envious of neighbours who planted their courgettes out way to early imo and now have a patch of very productive huge plants. My own are not looking too bad, and are starting to produce small courgettes, but nothing like theirs. Same with their runner beans: out very early, a few yellowed leaves from cold nights, but right at the top of their canes and flowering away like mad.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 15:35:49 »
its strange my early courgettes are romping away in fact harvested some today the later ones are just sitting there sulking what a strange year we are having :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 19:26:46 »
That's true - we didn't have any late frosts here ... I didn't sow mine in pots until May and they were slow to get going.

It just goes to show that it's always better to hedge your bets with a few early sown seeds just in case the season is working that way!

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 11:49:40 »
The weather seemed a bit warmer yesterday and I actually thought about taking my winter woollies off and working in my t-shirt.  Maybe the warmer weather will persuade my courgettes to start growing at long last.   :thumbsup:   It's good to know that others are having the same difficulty and it is not anything that I have or have not done to my plants. 

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 13:43:09 »
What  difference a few days make.... I wrote my last post when I hadn't been to the plot for 2 or 3 days, and when I did get there, my hitherto sulking plants were as big as almost anyone's, and I picked several respectable courgettes after all.

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2016, 08:53:18 »
All of my squash are sulking due to the grey days, just not enough sun here in Kent. One of my courgette plants is putting out flowers even though it is still very small. Not sure I will get anything to harvest off any of them, they seem to be so far behind. Luckily I haven't had any slug damage despite all the wet weather. I have tried everything to encourage growth, bed well manured & membraned, plastic cloches to give them all a good start etc etc. Does anyone think a good liquid feed would help at this stage? I know what they really need is sunshine but that doesn't seem to be on its way any time soon. 

kippers garden

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 09:05:36 »
I have had a couple of courgettes and another is nearly ready, however I would be expecting lots more from them at this stage as the plants are quite large now......must be due to the lack of sun as others have said
This is my simple living UK blog:  http://notjustgreenfingers.wordpress.com/

Follow me if you enjoy reading it!

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2016, 11:50:38 »
Since I started this thread the slugs have eaten one of the plants.  All I am left with is a few small stalks.  The rest still aren't growing though some now have male flowers. 

........ Does anyone think a good liquid feed would help at this stage? I know what they really need is sunshine but that doesn't seem to be on its way any time soon. 

I am also interested to know if a liquid feed would help. 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal