General > Computers / Internet

not allotment related but

(1/3) > >>

ACE:
Are there any techies out there that can put some instructions in plain English. I am building a small website on one site but purchased the domain on another and for the life of me I cannot seem so transfer it over. Loads of instructions on the net but I am having a senior moment and cannot fathom out the language. HELP!

Bill Door:
Ehhhhhhh!

What instructions would that be then Ace?  What language would that be?  Have you tried Babble or goggle translate?

Willing to apply my tired brain to assist but don't know if i need mole grips or a socket set to break open the box.

Bill

Tee Gee:

I'm no expert but I would have thought that all you needed to do was open up your new site in your FTP then browse through your files on your PC click on it/them (your original sites local file name) and paste it/them into your new sites upload column (remote site)

If all your passwords and addresses are OK then it should upload under your new domain name!

Metanurb:
After 11 years of lurking I'm finally about to pop my posting cherry.

I'm unsure exactly what it is you're trying to do, when you say 'transfer' do you actually mean that or are you just trying to 'point' the domain name to where your website files are?

Transfer and Point are 2 very different things on tinternet when dealing with domain names. It's possible you're looking for the wrong thing which is adding to the confusion.

Transfer will move your domain name from one company to the other. Point will tell the computer with the domain name where the website is.

If you want to transfer then try the help pages on the company which has the website, if you want to point then try the company with the domain name.

Basically how it works is the company with the domain name has the equivalent of a phone directory called a "DNS record" which needs to know where your website is on the internet. When you type in your website name into your browser it first goes to the DNS server and is then invisibly redirected to the "phone number" of the website server.

(the above is missing a few steps and not exactly correct but the easiest way I can think of to explain)

Hope that helps.

Tee Gee:

--- Quote from: Metanurb on June 23, 2016, 14:51:41 ---After 11 years of lurking I'm finally about to pop my posting cherry.

I'm unsure exactly what it is you're trying to do, when you say 'transfer' do you actually mean that or are you just trying to 'point' the domain name to where your website files are?

Transfer and Point are 2 very different things on tinternet when dealing with domain names. It's possible you're looking for the wrong thing which is adding to the confusion.

Transfer will move your domain name from one company to the other. Point will tell the computer with the domain name where the website is.

If you want to transfer then try the help pages on the company which has the website, if you want to point then try the company with the domain name.

Basically how it works is the company with the domain name has the equivalent of a phone directory called a "DNS record" which needs to know where your website is on the internet. When you type in your website name into your browser it first goes to the DNS server and is then invisibly redirected to the "phone number" of the website server.

(the above is missing a few steps and not exactly correct but the easiest way I can think of to explain)

Hope that helps.

--- End quote ---

Yep! Thats what I was trying to get across!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version