Author Topic: Plants had to go back into greenhouse - its so cold  (Read 7910 times)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Plants had to go back into greenhouse - its so cold
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2016, 10:27:28 »
Tee Gee, what are the sleeves the bottles are sitting in? Thanks.

In this case they are offcuts  from large diameter plastic sewer pipes, I guess gas and water pipes although a different colour would do equally as well!

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2016, 21:23:00 »
So now it's been so hot today that all the tender plants I put under cloches 2 days when I was shivering on the plot were frying today and I just about saved them from being killed!

This weather's nuts.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2016, 21:28:16 »
i had to open the side of my poly cloche today it was nearing 100 degrees
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2016, 06:12:51 »
Hi Squeezyjohn I had the same problem this evening, my plastic bottle cloches were way too hot for the plants at 7pm but I didn't want to risk just leaving them off suddenly at night....sigh. So we are now getting hot weather in Kent but the hotttest part of the day is the evening from about 5pm, super crazy weather so far this year.

Thanks Tee Gee I will try to make some larger cloches from plastic stapled together, I had never thought about doing it this way.

Thanks Galina for the tip there are loads of coffee shops in our town centre so I am sure at least one of them will oblige, never crossed my mind to ask them.

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2016, 07:30:03 »
Yet more crazy weather coming today, warnings for torrential rain & hailstones  :BangHead:
Spent yesterday planting out small headed lettuce seedlings & thinning turnips, beetroot & chard so expect that lot to be pretty wrecked if we get the weather that is forecast....sigh. This year so far is proving to be the most difficult growing year I have encountered, having a new plot makes it harder to know how to tackle things, ho hum at least it is a learning curve lol. Jane

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal