Author Topic: Chrysanthemum advice please  (Read 12626 times)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Re: Chrysanthemum advice please
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2016, 19:01:37 »
Went to GWL today, overall disappointing, the food show has taken over and gardening is relegated to a small hall and outside, don't think I'll be going again!

Anyway, there were only a few Society stands, but sadly no Chrysanthemum one! However, I did find one supplier in the floral marquee....Tee Gee you would have been proud of my 'Chrysanthemum jargon speak'!!

I asked if they grew their own stock (yes, you don't want any of those imported types), asked about Spray varieties (he knew what I meant!), correctly identified said rooted cuttings and sagely noted they hadn't been stopped yet (nods of agreement) said I would leave at least five breaks when I stopped them (good idea he agreed!).

Ha ha! I purchased another four types and potted them on when I got home, its addictive this lark isn't it"!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2016, 19:13:15 »
Nice to hear you can speak the lingo and yes it can get addictive. I tried to give up growing them but have never really managed to do so. At least I have given the exhibiting part!

Can't remember if I gave you the link to a lot more 'spray' varieties, if not have a look in here.

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Chrysanthemum/Chrys%20pics/Chrys%20Sprays%20SS.wmv

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2016, 11:31:34 »
I thought I would post a little update: my original plants are now about a foot plus high, with 4-6 strong main stems each and look healthy. The cuttings I took are potted on and growing strongly too, they all took easily and seem to like the polystyrene modules I've put them in, they will be catching up the main plants at this rate!

Note:I'm not sure why, but two photos are coming up sideways; they are not like that on my tablet! Sorry!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 11:33:56 by Deb P »
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2016, 13:10:08 »
I don't know your plan but I would say that they all want taking outdoors, and spaced a little further apart.

What I am frightened of is mildew forming due to the restricted air space around them.

I don't know if your plan is to grow them under cover till flowering time or what????

What size of pots are they in? it looks like somewhere around 6" diam based on the plant size, usually if growing chrysants in pots you use 8"-10" pots.

The problem when growing in pots outdoors is they often get blown over because the leaves/branches act as a sail.

To alleviate this problem you can erect what might best be described as a one or two strand wire fence and tie the plants into the wires.

Again because I do not know your plan I would restrict each plant to around three to four stems particularly as they are in smallish pots.

Now I have created another problem for you and that is " what stems do I remove"?

What you have to do is  locate the point where the breaks (branches) radiate from, idealy you want them to radiate from the same point on the stem.

This ensures that if you want to cut them as 'cut flowers' or for showing that all the stems are around the same length.

Any stems that grow above this point should be removed as these are being starved by the branches below them, and what nutrients they do get is at the
expense of the selected branches.

By doing this you will get a better shaped, less crowded plant and when all three/four branches flower they will form a nice relatively large flat rosette
of flowers on top of the plant. Otherwise if you leave the higher stems on you will get a more 'spikey' head of flowers.

But at the end of the day the choice is yours, but in my opinion I would rather have three/four good heads of flowers rather than half a dozen not so attractive flowers.

As I say the choice is yours!

If you want any more advice please do not hesitate to ask, who know you and I might be educating a few lurkers on the site :icon_cheers:

ps. I would get your cutting potted up as well you do not want them to get pot bound as this might affect their keeping qualities over the winter months!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2016, 09:21:16 »
The plants are in one litre pots and have been outside for about five weeks now, the potted on cuttings are still in the greenhouse with some secondary cuttings as well (waste not want not!) sorry if the pics didn't make that clear. I use my greenhouse staging outdoors in the summer to harden stuff off on, I run out of room otherwise!

I'm going to plant the big boys out this week, half at home, half down the lottie to see where they do best, thanks again for the pruning advice!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal