Author Topic: Primary School visit.  (Read 3191 times)

bluecar

• Acre
Primary School visit.
« on: July 06, 2016, 15:00:24 »
Hello all.

We've been having a bunch of primary school children coming on site and they've planted various plants and seeds. Last visit they also picked rhubarb. This visit coming up there doesn't seem a lot to do to keep them active for about 1hr 30 minutes. There will be some new potatoes to dig, but despite the fact they are dying off - they are extremely small, some more rhubarb,rapberries, but strawberries have finished.

I thought I would get them to walk the plot and fill in an activity sheet answering such questions as:

How many green sheds are there?

What is the biggest plant you can find (other than a tree or bush)?

How many hives have we got on site?

How many ponds did you find?

However I'm running out of ideas so any suggestions from yourselves would be gratefully received either to add to the activity sheet or other things they can do.

Thanks.

Bluecar

Elfeda

• Quarter Acre
Re: Primary School visit.
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 16:29:08 »
they can plant some seeds? probably radish/beetroot/dwarf peas? so next time they can water / pick them ?

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 17:05:13 »
Could you teach them about plants they see growing?  Does anybody recognise this? (pointing to a carrot) or this (pointing to a courgette).  Is this a plant or a weed (pointing to a weed and explaining what weed it is).

And a basic teach about crop types - what is a root crop?  Do you see any?  What is a fruit?  Are there any gooseberries about?  Which part of plants do we eat? - go through a few different vegetables.

Good luck and hope the weather cooperates  :wave:

Nora42

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 17:15:00 »
what eats what?

they love hearing about the plant ten 2 for the slugs and snails and the rest for you're if you're lucky rule.

How high will the beans grow?

who has the tallest sunflower on the plot?

how many red currant /blackcurrant gooseberry bushes can they spot.

can anybody find a 7 spot ladybird?

can they find a pumpkin?

most unusual veg - draw a picture.

Nora

Norf London

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 18:05:21 »
pond dipping for bugs and a bug hunt kids love it hope it all goes well :icon_cheers: :icon_cheers: :icon_cheers:
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 19:48:07 »
A few years ago I had the pleasure of showing a group around our plots and they were a bit gobsmacked, particularly when I dug up and cut a beetroot, then when I lifted a Khol rabi I will never forget the look on there faces.

I gave them all a Dahlia to take home to their mothers.

About a week later they sent me a calendar they had of me and them on my Dahlia plot, apparently one of the teachers/assistants had taken a picture of me giving them a Dahlia.

That reminds me I will be going to Tatton show on the 22nd and that is a very good show for schools/children garden participation.

Start them youngI say!   I did with my grandchildren but the problem is their attention was very small, so I did not push it but at least they like eating fruit & vegetables.

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 19:53:16 »
Maybe have a browse around the RHS school site

https://schoolgardening.rhs.org.uk/home
Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

bluecar

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2016, 21:30:54 »
Great and thanks - please keep the ideas coming. I've just had a reprieve that staff shortages means that they will be coming at the end of next week now, but all suggestions will be helpfull.

Thanks

Bluecar

Redalder

• Half Acre
  • East Cornwall, mostly clay and stones.
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2016, 08:53:39 »
How about showing them the hives and giving a talk on bees and how they live and make honey. Have you an empty hive so they can see the inside?

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2016, 15:47:10 »
What age are we talking about.

Can they identify the crops from the leaves.  How many different crops can they identify,

How many different insects can they see,   Bees, wasps, hoverflies, etc etc caterpillars, cabbage white. Pollen beetles, courgettes always attract pollen beetles.  Slugs and snails.

What is in the soil?   If they put a small amount of soil in water and shake it up then it will separate.  Better ask teachers about this since they might need safety specs etc.

The different between earthworms and compost worms. 

Making compost.  What goes into the compost and what comes out the bottom.

Pests.   Can they find holes in the leaves what is eating them.

Fertiliser PKN.  What do plants need to grow? 

Garden organic have some nice resources, eg what can we compost games.  Yes no

https://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/schools

Ladybirds what do they eat?  They do not eat leaves so what do they eat,  can the children find aphids. 

« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 16:11:38 by Digeroo »

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2016, 16:59:34 »
Ask them to think about what things they cannot see,  Why no oranges, lemons, bananas or pineapples.

bluecar

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2016, 17:29:04 »
Thanks again.

Digeroo they are a mixed bunch between 8 & 10 years of age.

Lots of ideas now.

I'm still happy to receive more as we are hoping to continue the link with the school for as long as we can.

Bluecard

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal