Author Topic: Individual Plotholder Public Liability Insurance  (Read 10402 times)

NightWish

• Not So New ...
Individual Plotholder Public Liability Insurance
« on: May 25, 2016, 17:53:37 »
I have an allotment on a council-managed site - no allotment association.  This was tucked away in our quarterly allotment newsletter:

Public Liability Insurance - Act Now!

All allotment holders are required to obtain public liability insurance for their allotment plot. The main reason being that if someone has an accident on your plot or as a result of your actions you will need to be covered against possible injuries to that person. You can add this to your household insurance policy at either a nil cost or a very small charge.

Well, having spoken to my insurers I can't add this to my insurance, and at the moment it's not practical to change insurers.  I was under the impression that the Council had insurance that covered individual plotholders, but apparently this isn't the case.  Does anyone know of a company that I could take out an individual policy, just for my allotment?

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
Re: Individual Plotholder Public Liability Insurance
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 19:21:54 »
I do not know of an individual policy
Maybe all your plotholders could club together to get insurance from Shield

http://www.shieldtotalinsurance.co.uk/allotment-insurance/

Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 19:28:33 »
The EU strikes again. Don't you just love it! :BangHead:

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 20:30:01 »
Suggest you look at the NSALG website under member benefits: I think our site is covered as a whole?
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 20:43:58 »
Suggest you look at the NSALG website under member benefits: I think our site is covered as a whole?
i agree with you deb I'm sure you can individual cover and site cover with membership but youll have to check
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 22:14:48 »
The UK law of tort is about remedies that can be applied by courts in civil proceedings to provide relief for individuals or victims who have suffered harm from the wrongful acts of others.

Businesses are the most common users of this type of insurance. Not that many businesses deliberately set out to harm clients but to be sure if they cause harm say through some employee blunder that they  are covered.

The chance of a successful case against an allotment plot holder (unless you are setting man traps or otherwise deliberately attempting to cause harm) is extremely low.  As a result cover is very inexpensive and usually is taken out by associations to cover each plot holder. Probably not worth pursuing as an individual.

P.S. Nothing whatsoever to do with the EU.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 22:17:13 by Beersmith »
Not mad, just out to mulch!

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 06:40:28 »
I agree with you when you say the chance of a successful case against an allotment plot holder (unless you are setting man traps or otherwise deliberately attempting to cause harm) is extremely low. That is why I would never take out such an insurance.

While I accept it does not fit exactly with this situation I'm afraid the EU does make changes to insurance cover.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/insurance/motorinsurance/11493891/Youll-need-100-car-insurance-for-lawnmowers-says-EU.html

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/car-insurance/blog/do-you-need-insurance-for-a-lawnmower-or-mobility-scooter/
  :wave:

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 07:51:36 »
I guess some of that makes slight sense in the case of mobility scooters, my Nan used to have one when she was alive and she was a demon driving it! But lawnmowers?! Unless you've got one like this down the plot ( thinking of Ace...)....

If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal