Author Topic: Advice please. What should I move out of the greenhouse?  (Read 7475 times)

Paulines7

• Hectare
We are going to Cornwall for ten days and my son is staying here to look after the cats and chickens.  He is not very good with plants and I don't want him to be responsible for them whilst we are away, especially those in the greenhouse.  I have looked at the 10 day forecast for this area and no frost is forecast, so hopefully, no fleecing would be required. 

I have everything either in the polystyrene self watering boxes (See http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,80191.0.html) or on shelves lined with capillary matting, which sit above large 6" deep trays, each of which holds 2 gallons of water.   

I am worried that it could be too hot for some of the plants.  I am thinking particularly of peas and beans which have been sown in pots and trays in the last few days. The peas are about 1" tall now and the assortment of beans, French, runner and broad have just started showing, with some more advanced than others. 

I could move the peas and beans to a raised bed outside the greenhouse and use the trays to provide them with water. The plants wouldn't be swimming in water if it rained.  Is it going to be too cold for them outside or would they be better remaining in what could be a very hot greenhouse?  I have automatic vents and will pull the roof shades down before I leave, but it can still get very hot in there.

I would welcome any comments and advice please.   

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: Advice please. What should I move out of the greenhouse?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 20:55:03 »
Pauline, I have a large fan in mine which I can put on a timer if need be, it keeps the temp down on really hot days.

Other than that do you have a cool room with  window in your house they you can set up with a wick method for your beans, they should be safe enough there. I have just moved a tray of beans from under my lights as they are practically taking over but in a cooler room with just a sill I have some more which are much smaller.
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 01:24:50 »
Thanks for your reply Jeannine.  I have no electric in the greenhouse so could not have a fan.

I decided to move most of the peas and beans outside as I thought they would tolerate cold rather than too much heat.  If they came indoors, I wouldn't have room for the water boxes and trays and then they would all wither without water.  I have 13 varieties of peas, mainly mange tout and sugar snap, 5 varieties of broad beans and 12 types of climbing beans.  Any surplus to requirements will be passed on to a friend who will sell them and donate the money to cancer research.

Once I had moved them all, I then wondered whether they would be eaten by the birds.  Partridges, pheasants and mallards are frequent visitors as well as pigeons and other birds.  I didn't have time to put netting over them but I did cover them with fleece.  I will see how much time I have in the morning and maybe I will fix up some netting. It will keep the cats off them too.

Other than that, it's fingers crossed.  :thumbsup:

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 03:33:49 »
Good Luck then and have a nice vacation, they will probably be fine you know I think we all worry too much.
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 08:33:42 »
Thank you Jeannine.  x

Redalder

• Half Acre
  • East Cornwall, mostly clay and stones.
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 08:50:29 »
Enjoy your holiday, weather pretty good down here in Cornwall now it has stopped raining.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 09:40:48 »
I expect we will be bringing the wet and cold weather with us if our past holidays are anything to go by!

We will enjoy it nonetheless.   :toothy10: 

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2016, 12:48:32 »
Try and rig up a fleece tunnel to cover them.

This is quite a versatile material as it will shade them if you get fierce sunshine, it will protect them from birds and insect life, it is porous so it will allow rain through including over head watering it will raise the humidity around the plants so they won't dry out as fast, and if it gets a bit cold it will offere a little frost protection.

Now all these attributes will only give minimal protection but it is better than none.

I think your main concern will be drying out so get your son to play the weather and water daily if we get high temperatures and every other dayif it is dry and overcast.

Prepare a couple 5" plant pot with compost in them (no plants) water one of them thoroughly and leave the other dry.

Let your son lift each one in turn so that he can assess the difference in weight between the wet one and the dry one, then each time he comes down to water  he can lift each pot again and see if the wet one has lightened somewhat thus indicating if the plants need lots of, or only a light watering.

Best of luck and have a good holiday and do not worry about your plants too much as I am quite sure the resilience of the plants will pull them through,particularly with a little help from your son.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2016, 15:05:18 »
Just to add another bit to what I wrote previously and that is: if you do decide to do as I described I would suggest that you do not erect the tunnel in full sun, to do so will mean you get increased photosynthesis activity so moisture is taken up faster plus you get great moisture loss due to evaporation.

A bright situation e.g. Semi-shade where the area gets sunshine for part of the day is ideal, err on the side of shade rather than light and this will slow plant development down meaning it is not using the resources that are hand as quickly.

Finally: Don't eat too many pasties and enjoy yourself ....Tg

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2016, 16:19:38 »
i agree with tg shade is the key it wont hurt them for a week or two
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2016, 07:33:47 »
Peas are cool weather plants and can tolerate quite a bit of frost.  They can be planted out sooner rather than later.

French beans and Runner beans are warm weather plants and frost will finish them off.  They need the shelter of a cloche or greenhouse whilst frost may still be around.

Enjoy Cornwall.   :sunny:

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2016, 12:42:07 »
Thank you all for your suggestions.  I didn't have time to put netting over the outside plants before we left on Sunday, so I left the fleece over them and held it down with bricks. 

Every tray or pot is on capillary matting being fed by gallons of water so I am not expecting anything to dry out.  According to the 10 day weather forecast, there is no frost due. 

Tee Gee, thanks for your advice.  Unfortunately, my son doesn't get involved with any watering.  I lost a lot of plants when I was away last year when someone else was keeping an eye. My water timer failed. That is why I have set up the new watering system which doesn't require any timers nor anyone else to be involved.

The raised bed where I have put the pots and trays of peas and beans on their water reservoirs, is in the shade until the afternoon.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2016, 00:00:23 »
I am back now and am pleased to say that all my plants are thriving.  A few of the tomato and cucumber plants in the greenhouse looked a little bit dry despite the capillary matting still being damp, but when I gave them some more water, they all perked up.  Some of the climbing French beans that were just beginning to sprout when I left are now about 10 inches tall!  The beans and peas outside, under the fleece, are all looking good.

We had a restful time in Cornwall and managed to visit the Lost Gardens of Heligan and Trelissic Gardens.  There were bluebells everywhere; in the gardens, on the banks and in the woodlands that we drove past.  In amongst the bluebells were herb robert plants blooming profusely.  We certainly picked the best time to visit this part of the world. 

Heligan had extensive vegetable and cut flower gardens.  I was able to pick up a few tips there and took plenty of photos of their plots.  We also visited some garden centres and came back with quite a few plants for my new flower garden.  Towing a caravan has its advantages as we can put the plants in the shower tray when returning home! 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal