Author Topic: Water pipe cloches  (Read 13120 times)

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: Water pipe cloches
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2016, 18:57:36 »
Question Johnny?

Why are you covering your pumpkins, particularly when they want copious amounts of moisture?

I grow mine on the compost heap and let the rainfall do the rest.     im tr

We have to have an exceptionally dry season before I supplement the moisture by manual watering.

im trying for 200lb plus this year i water them 3 to 4 times a day 4 watering cans each and feed every other day had a mare last year dad was ill lots of prob just managed 156lb so going for it this year lots of heat lots of food lots of water
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2016, 19:08:33 »
Ah! Now I see!

I am quite the reverse of that!

My priority is grow them so that my grandchildren can lift them, I don't want them ending up with a hernia at their tender age.

Then when I think about it it is also easier on me at my tender age!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2016, 19:10:38 »
Ah! Now I see!

I am quite the reverse of that!

My priority is grow them so that my grandchildren can lift them, I don't want them ending up with a hernia at their tender age.

Then when I think about it it is also easier on me at my tender age!
  i grow jack be little for the grandkids and my youngest out in the open
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2016, 16:03:50 »
Anything free is good obviously but I would not pay for copper as it corrodes very quickly.

That's weird - copper is one of the metals that occasionally shows up as metal amongst ore deposits millions of years old. Any soil you have that's acid enough to etch it would grow virtually nothing.

There's always black/brown oxide (or green carbonate) on the surface but it is very shallow - that's why it's used for roofing and can last centuries - at least until acid rain appeared.

It is a form of corrosion without damage... on the other hand iron/steel rebar will last a couple of decades OK but it will corrode to flakes fairly soon after (unless you use stainless steel).

On the same subject, you may notice that you sometimes get supermarket food sold in aluminium trays, and they seem sturdy enough to use under plants etc, but aluminium is notorious for corroding into 'pits' - within a season they start to leak like sieves. That's why they use zinc for 'silvery' roofs instead...

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal