Author Topic: Growing fenugreek (aka Methi)  (Read 2368 times)

cestrian

• Half Acre
Growing fenugreek (aka Methi)
« on: May 09, 2016, 12:35:34 »
We eat a lot of curry and I find it difficult to get hold of fresh methi leaves, that you get in traditional indian cooking, so i planted some seeds in pots in the green house and they have all germinated.

Has anyone else got any experience with this. How big will they grow and do they need to stay in the green house or can they go outside in a raised bed. I also read they produce edible pods, like rat tail radish, which I also love.

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
Re: Growing fenugreek (aka Methi)
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 13:33:34 »
Interesting! I sowed a little tray of them myself the other day, for greens for my rabbits. Never grown it before, but as it's a legume I can't imagine it's that hard to grow. I just used seeds from the supermarket sold for cooking, and they've germinated fine.

Why not try an experiment? A pot in the greenhouse and one outside so you can see what works best?

Elfeda

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 13:47:23 »
they are fine outside.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 14:20:11 »
I use Fenugreek as a green manure, using the big bags of methi seeds from the Asian supermarket.

Elfeda

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 14:49:49 »
fenugreeks can be used to grow micro greens, baby leafy greens, leafy veg and then dry spices.. It has very goo hhealth benifits. specially for blood purification and veyr ood for diabetics .I failed to pick fenugreek

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal