Author Topic: potatoes - multiple stems, tiny leaves - what to do?  (Read 2910 times)

earlypea

• Hectare
potatoes - multiple stems, tiny leaves - what to do?
« on: May 18, 2016, 09:39:26 »
Hi all

I was away when my potatoes arrived and to chit they were laid on their sides in a slightly warm and not very light place.  Unfortunately they developed multiple shoots all over.  I picked off most of them before planting, but didn't gouge them out.

Now I've got, as the title, loads of stems and tiny leaves.  I don't mind small potatoes for my earlies, but later ones were intended for roasting /baking so need some size.

Would it help if I pulled off some stems now?  Do you think anything would help at this stage?  They're a few inches high.

Cheers
earlypea

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: potatoes - multiple stems, tiny leaves - what to do?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 12:57:01 »
Personally I would leave well enough alone.

How would you know which one to remove? Sod's law might say you will remove the wrong ones!

Each plant will only produce what it can sustain, and as far as size is concerned this is as much to do with the weather we get during the growing season as the numbers produced.

This is only an opinion as I have never been in such a position, perhaps someone else has been there and can give you a more specific answer.

I hope this helps.....Tg

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 09:00:29 »
Thanks for the reply Tee Gee

I guess I'll just worry about something else instead and/or pray for optimal weather.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 16:49:03 »
indeed i agree with tg you could give them some liquid fertilizer and a good watering just to bulk them up a bit when they get growing a bit hope this helps
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal