Author Topic: Well rotted...or not......  (Read 3067 times)

Hector

• Hectare
Well rotted...or not......
« on: May 02, 2016, 12:03:46 »
We have been given a load of well rotted manure....we need to remove  ourselves as inaccessible for tractors etc at moment.

It's a seven foot high pile, with older stuff at bottom. Older stuff has been squished by the weight and also because this is pure horse manure not mixed with bedding.

As such, middle is well rotted...teeming with worms....we are now getting to base layer which is much older but not rotted down....still very fibrous etc.

Is this, although over a year old, going to be too rich/strong if near plant roots....its greyish brown....not browny brown, like the middle stuff.

Ps no chemicals near the stuff :)
Jackie

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: Well rotted...or not......
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 15:01:09 »
it should all be fine to use just put a 4to6" layer and let the worms do the rest the worms in manure are bradlins or tiger worms the ones that pull the stuff into the soil are lob worms anyhow it will all be gone by the autumn hope this helps
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 15:27:17 »
Although I don't disagree with Johnny I prefer to dig my muck in I always think it aeriates the soil and holds moisture.

I also think I get a better root syatem this way, and as roots are the engine room of the plant I like to keep this area well stoked up!

I hope this hasn't confused you even more like all  forms of gardening, there are many ways to garden ans most of them are OK.

May I suggest you try it both ways then you can see which way to go in the future!

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 15:35:24 »
Thanks both. We are doing some no dig beds ( manure and compost on top) and our older beds we dig it in...so will be interesting.

When I do either of the above Ialways use well rotted that's crumbly and brown.......this stuff from bottom of muck pile is squished / old BUT if I hadn't dug it myself I would have thought it was fresh as

:-

Similar to fresh colour

Smells a bit

No worms in it.

I'd love to use it but worried it will burn roots.

Is it possible it hasn't composted as no air at bottom of heavy pile?
Jackie

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 16:29:43 »
Similar to fresh colour, Smells a bit No worms in it.

My guess is that the muck pile is either badly drained or even in a hollow and there has been a build of water and the sludge as I guess it is now is so dense that worms would suffocate in it, the smell is the urine content that has drained down to the bottom of the pile and can't drain away.

I'd love to use it but worried it will burn roots.

I dont think it would providing you aerate it a bit, perhaps this is a time to use it as a mulch and let it weather into your soil.
Is it possible it hasn't composted as no air at bottom of heavy pile?

As mentioned above I guess so!

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 16:38:41 »
Mulch with the bottom stuff it is then. It's the field beside our garden ( neighbours)... So it gets the water  from the hill, like us. So think you have it spot on. It looks like a mud bath there at moment.

Thanks very much for this. Much appreciated!
Jackie

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal