Author Topic: Recent Manureing : which crops is this bad for  (Read 3543 times)

Hector

• Hectare
Recent Manureing : which crops is this bad for
« on: May 08, 2016, 10:59:11 »
I've read that a recently manured area can cause carrots to fork. What other crops is this a negative for?

We have raised beds with one layer being rotted manure, so wondering what crops we should avoid this season
Thanks
Jackie

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Recent Manureing : which crops is this bad for
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 11:05:11 »
Parsnips and other roots can be a problem though if there is only a thin top layer of manure you can get away with it with carrots.   Otherwise most other crops like a good dose of manure especially beans and potatoes.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 16:06:19 »
brassicas as the manure makes the soil slightly acid and brassicas love alkali soil but as digeroo says most crops love it sweetcorn courgettes squashes pumpkins beans all thrive in the stuff
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 16:39:30 »
I've read that a recently manured area can cause carrots to fork. What other crops is this a negative for?

We have raised beds with one layer being rotted manure, so wondering what crops we should avoid this season
Thanks

The easy way over that situation is to stick the blade of your spade into the soil rock it backwards and forwards to form a 'Vee' trench. ( Do this along the length of the desired row)

Fill this trench with a fine compost e.g. Sieved potting compost then sow your seeds into this.

Another advantage of this method is you have the moisture retentive compost adjacent to the carrots. This method is more suited to stump rooted carrots.

With long rooted carrots & parsnips you want the tap root to seek moisture so a deeper source of moisture is better, although that is not to say you can't use the former method in all instances.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 17:25:32 »
now myself i like a well prepared bed well in advance i think planning is the key to a good harvest give crops the conditions they like and they will repay you with good standard of cropping there is no rush so you wait a season for decent root crops its not that much of a too do talking of planning i think a have my new half a plot so i am planning away as we speak im thinking 2 raised beds a large greenhouse and large coldframe a patio and a arbour covered by a grapevine inclosed by espaliers see planning dont take long
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 22:11:49 »
Thanks folks. I'll try the v approach Teegee, thanks for that.

I had no idea about manure and forking!
Jackie

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal